Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

repair leaking timing cover seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Starting Member
user3657 is on a distinguished road
Default repair leaking timing cover seal?

so i have a 2001 s10 that just hit 120k miles.

its leaking from the timing cover seal. im leaking about a qt every 3k miles. the shops wants 1k for this because they say they gotta remove the engine blah blah blah.

would you replace it? inside the truck looks BRAND NEW. outside, i kept up with waxing/washing so it looks good except a few small sractches from wheeling.

i cant see spending 1k on this right now if it isnt life threating. who knows what happens 6months from here?

i want to keep the truck as long as possaible, but i cant see spending the money for this when who knows the tranny can go next week.

is it really any issue? im not going to be driving and then lose all my oil from blowing the seal am i? if it gets worst and can barely keep oil in, ok then i have to decide......but what would you do?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you try tightening up the bolts.

See if that helps before going to more extreme measures. I had a leak that looked like a bad rear main seal on my old 2k Bravada. All it ended up being was loose oil pan bolts at the rear of the engine. Sure glad I didn't pull the engine to swap out the rear main seal.