Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

repeatedly shifting in and out of O/D

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member
groundedmk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down repeatedly shifting in and out of O/D

My Blazer is a 2000 4x4 4.3l. I recently changed my AT fluid at 140k miles. I switched over to synthetic and that is when the problem started. It seems that my trans is shifting in and out of O/D but I'm not sure. It still does it when I move the shifter into "3" but not as noticeable. The only way to make it stop is to put the shifter into "2" and putz around at 30mph which I've been doing. I ordered a solenoid kit which includes all solenoids and the wiring harness but now I have a more serious problem. I can't shift into reverse or drive. I can go from park to neutral but that is all. When I replace all of the solenoids will that fix both problems or does something else affect the 2nd problem?

-there are no lights on in the dash
-there are no trouble codes stored
-the fluid is at the correct level
-I hate my life

Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your torque converter was going in and out of lockup. Now though... What did you do that caused it to not want to move at all? Or did it just start happening?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member

it just started happening...what about the torque converter? Do I just need to replace it or is there some way to fix it?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Just to be sure, NONE of these problems happened before you changed the fluid? Did you change it as maintenance or were you having problems?
Did you verify that the correct filter was installed? Can you verify that the fluid you used was the correct fluid for the truck?
How many miles since the fluid change?
It sounds to me that something during the fluid change is creating your problems.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Beginning Member

NONE of these problems exhisted before the fluid change. They actually didn't start happening till about 2000 miles after the change. I bought the correct filter and fluid. One thing I thought of was I tapped on the pan with a rubber mallet to get it loose...from what I hear the plastic stuff in the tranny gets brittle. Do you think when I get these solenoids and wiring harness installed it will fix it?

Just a reminder the tranny was not slipping or grinding.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Tapping on the pan shouldnt cause the damage your talking about. Especially if there are no dents in it.

I cannot tell you that replacing all those parts will fix your problem. You may have mechanical damage. I wouldnt do anything until you perform a a good thorough diagnostic! Taking it apart, putting it together and finding out there is no change will not make you a happy man.

Do more research before you do more work!
Good luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Whole rant deleted due to my dumassity.. missed one little part, somehow:
I can't shift into reverse or drive. I can go from park to neutral but that is all.

It is what it is.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If replacing the solenoids is the only step that the OP can do, have at it. Kristoph is just suggesting that it get diagnosed properly before going much further. Even if all of the solenoids have failed, it should still move...

IMO, it sounds like a failed torque converter.

As far as your rant goes, You do know that you can have it scanned by someone with a capable scan tool. Some shops might even do it for next to nothing... Worst case it might cost you an hour of labor. Also, you can test the parts (speed sensors and even the encoder motor), but I digress, if you wanted help with the issue, posting about it in someone else's very unrelated thread isn't the way to go about it.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If replacing the solenoids is the only step that the OP can do, have at it. Kristoph is just suggesting that it get diagnosed properly before going much further. Even if all of the solenoids have failed, it should still move...

IMO, it sounds like a failed torque converter.

As far as your rant goes, You do know that you can have it scanned by someone with a capable scan tool. Some shops might even do it for next to nothing... Worst case it might cost you an hour of labor. Also, you can test the parts (speed sensors and even the encoder motor), but I digress, if you wanted help with the issue, posting about it in someone else's very unrelated thread isn't the way to go about it.
I deleted that because SOMEHOW I focused on the prelim problem not the last. Maybe senior brain fart..
Anyway.. given the ACTUAL situation, it's pointless.

I could now start a rant on Dont touch the tranny fluid if you dont know how it was serviced before ..... but I wont.
And I did have my TC scanned ... have the code stashed somewhere, came down to Front/rear speed mismatch.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member

ok, I'm really confused...are we still talking about my problem and what I should do?

Quick Reply: repeatedly shifting in and out of O/D