Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Researching a 4.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member
Numbchux is on a distinguished road

yea, definitely not uncommon. I've gotten a lot of what I know from the toyota section on Pirate4x4.

I'm not sure what transmission to expect. I know some Astros were available with the CPI and 700R4. it seems it's more common with the 4L60E in the blazers...but I don't know enough.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

they're all the same outside, it's the guts that have changed. going from 700R4 to 4L60 to 4L60E. don't think these trucks ever came with the 4L80's series.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Beginning Member

so yea, took the VIN up to the dealer. it's a '92, CPI, 4L60

ok, cool.

next thing I'm looking at, one of the transmission-tcase adapters I'm looking at using requires replacing the output shaft on the transmission. how difficult is this?

and, fuel pump info. pressure and volume. if anyone knows...

Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To replace the output shaft on the TH350/700R4/4L60/4L60E transmissions, you must GUT the transmission internals! It isn't a simple task and there are some special tools required.

The CPI engine requires 60+psi. Not sure on volume.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The CPI engine requires 60+psi. Not sure on volume.
you sure about that? the aftermarket "upgraded" ones on ebay list about 22 gph and 40psi, although they do not specifically say for CPI, they list that they will work with blazer 4.3s through ~'98....

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Positive that the CPI engine required 60+ psi. 44psi won't even open the poppet nozzles.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member

huh....alright. thanks! I guess I'll be replacing the fuel pump....

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

and i know that the factory rating on the W code pump is 140 lph (37 gph).

Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

^awesome! that's a big help. looking at a walbro high-pressure in-line pump...

now scouring ebay for a Factory Service Manual