Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rusty Trans fluid and leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:23 PM
ToughRod is on a distinguished road
Default Rusty Trans fluid and leaking coolant

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and new to Chevy all together. I just bought a 1997 Blazer (4-door, 4x4) with a new engine a few weeks ago. I have two problems with it so far that I can't fix as of yet and was wondering if I could get your input:

1. I have a leak in my cooling system somewhere above the passenger side Wheel-well. The reserve tank remains full. I can't seem to locate the leak, but it is def. dripping/flowing from the back side on the Front Wheel-well. I didn't notice it leaking at all until I starting hearing a gurgling under the dash with a higher RPM. I checked the radiator and it was empty with only a red/brown sandy reisdue.

2. I checked the trans fluid and I noticed that the dip-stick and filler tube are rusted (tremendously). I read on other posts that this can be a common problem but the fluid also looks rusty and not just in color... It too is gritty/sandy like the coolent. Actually, almost exactly the same.

I have always owed jeeps (I know... Sinful) and I found that under the hood of the Blazer seems to be more cluttered. Just to find this leak I'm starting to think that I will have to start pulling components out. I'm hoping that someone has gone through this and can give me some direction. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member
hammer051 is on a distinguished road

[quote=ToughRod;367366] It too is gritty/sandy like the coolent. Actually, almost exactly the same.
quote]

OK, First if you think that coolant being dirty could somehow be connected to your trans fluid being dirty, I'd like to laugh in your face right now...

Second for your tranny, swap out your fluids and keep an eye on it. Maybe it has never been changed and its just funky.

Third, get a haynes manual or a FSM and tear apart your coolant system. Get dirty, shouldn't be too hard.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=hammer051;396890]
Originally Posted by ToughRod
It too is gritty/sandy like the coolent. Actually, almost exactly the same.
quote]

OK, First if you think that coolant being dirty could somehow be connected to your trans fluid being dirty, I'd like to laugh in your face right now...

Second for your tranny, swap out your fluids and keep an eye on it. Maybe it has never been changed and its just funky.

Third, get a haynes manual or a FSM and tear apart your coolant system. Get dirty, shouldn't be too hard.
hammer, the transmission cooler lines and fluid route through the radiator. I wouldn't be so quick to 'laugh' at him or any member of this forum - it won't be tolerated.

I don't have an answer for you ToughRod, but I would recommend getting a pressure tester for the coolant system to pinpoint your leak without having to run the engine.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
hammer, the transmission cooler lines and fluid route through the radiator. I wouldn't be so quick to 'laugh' at him or any member of this forum - it won't be tolerated.
Thank you

ToughRod, your fluid is just what you said... rusty and gritty. At least on the dipstick. It is gritty because when you pull the stick, it brings that rust out with it as well as pushing it down into the pan. My tube was rusted as well on my '95. Some places online sell them for $12. If the vehicle still drives I would recommend doing a filter and fluid change as soon as possible.

Water is the exact opposite of what transmission clutches like.
Water runs off the firewall and drips onto the dipstick tube where it finds its way down into the transmission. When I rebuilt mine I discovered tiny amounts of water deposited throughout the transmission(which caused its demise) and immediately pulled the radiator and had it tested. Through some searching I found out it was the dipstick that caused it.

Hopefully you can get any water that is in there out before it is to late. Just know that there is the potential for problems and hopefully you caught it before the damage was done.