Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
chvyblazer00 is on a distinguished road
Default seafoam

any one here try it on therre blazer?
i plan on doing the treatment to mine tomorrow, i think ill make a video of it and post it on here for you all, ive seen youtube videos of it and people say it works wonders for them, so i guess ill see tomorrow haha

Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

Many people here have done it. 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the brake booster vac line, and 1/3 in the crank case. The majority of people recommend changing the oil within 200-400 miles after putting Seafoam in crankcase. The reasoning is that when it picks up the sludge, it clogs the filter a lot quicker.

When you run it through the vac line, I would recommend waiting till night unless you live away from neighbors or have very understanding neighbors. It creates a nice smoke show, the severity/quantity of smoke depends on how much carbon and stuff has built up in the engine.

Also when running it through the line, let it "slurp" some up, but don't let the engine stall. When there's not much Seafoam left, dunk the hose so that it sucks the last of the Seafoam up, leaving some unburned on top of the cylinder. When you restart 15-20 minutes later, you will definitely get a smoke show

Last edited by jbsnowboarder16; 09-13-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Yep,ive done it. good stuff.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I've used Seafoam on several vehicles and I find it to be very effective.

I saw a video on the Seafoam website of a Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec where they showed a spray can of Seafoam with the long nozzle tube stuck deep into the intake manifold past the throttle plate. They explain that on the 4.3 Vortec the Seafoam can't get to all the cylinders by just sucking it into a vacuum line so they recommend getting the spray version and spraying it deep into the intake to make sure it gets evenly distributed to all the cylinders.

Has anyone done that? I've always just sucked it into the brake vacuum line and it seems to have worked just fine.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:03 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I did the spray type. It works really good. And it says to keep the spray tube 1/4" away from the throttle plate. And you are right, through the vac line it only gets the two back pistons because of the design of the vortec. The only problem is getting the intake boot back on with the tube hanging out. Soo what I did was take the rubber corrugated intake pipe off the plastic boot then stuck the tube inside the the boot and bent it so it was a 1/4" off the T plate then put the rubber intake pipe back on and followed the rest of the steps. I should have takes a pic lol

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As a quick search for "seafoam" would show, many have used it.

I use the whole can down the intake. With the engine warm, I pour 2/3 through a vacuum line or down the throttle body slowly, keeping the engine running, the last 1/3 quickly, let the engine die then let it sit for 20-30 minutes, and finally driving the snot out of it until the exhaust clears up. Check the plugs after it cools off again and change the oil. Done.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
chvyblazer00 is on a distinguished road

so i used it today and i didnt have the results everyone else has. i poured 1/3 in the tank and turned on my truck poured about 1/3 down the brake booster vac line and shut off the truck, waited 20 mins turned it back on and it didnt smoke at all. should i try using more in it? i hear your not suppose to have it stall out your truck. so idk, maybe its just that clean inside? but i doubt it cause it has 146k on it, so idk what i did wrong

Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

hmm correct me if im wrong, but isn't the majority of the smoke caused by the seafoam, breaking loose all the carbon buildups? If I'm correct then your engine was all ready clean and thus had no carbon for a smoke show.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

It may have been that clean, I doubt it, but it may have been. I got about a minute of the smoke show when I did it to my Blazer and I only had 92K on mine at the time.

Just a thought, I dunno if "pouring" in the brake line was correct. Everywhere I've read and seen, your supposed to allow the vacuum line to suck the Seafoam up, and I'm pretty sure you are supposed to let it stall the engine.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

i didnt think you where supposed to let it stall out the engine because of the the threat of hydro locking. but i suppose its nothing to really worry about if Swartlkk said to do it. only if you pour the 2/3rd's in SLOWLY then it wont be a big deal i guess. i didnt know the engine would run at all with the intake boot off because there is no air going through the MAF sensor which i thought would throw off the mixture among other things.

So Swartlkk it still run just really crappy like that? i think im going to try it that way next time.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 09-14-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: seafoam