Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Sepentine Belt Chirp, Noise or Squeel

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Sepentine Belt Chirp, Noise or Squeel

The last time I had a serpentine belt chirp I went crazy trying to locate and eliminate it. I replaced any thing with a beariing and changed the belt more than once with no luck. I finally eliminatedthe belt noisewith a Dayco polycog belt I purchased at Adavance Auto parts. The noise came back after about 30K on the Dayco, I wentto Advanced Auto parts andbought the same Dayco P/N belt and the belt chirped as soon asI installed it. I new it was the belt and because I sprayed WD-40 on the belt at the tensioner pully and the noise would go away for a few moments. I took a close look at the old and the new beltand Dayco has changed the design. The old belt had cross cuts in the ribs whichI believe helped with the belt noise. The new Dayco beltthatI purchased,the ribs are continous with no cross cuts. I searched this forum and found that others have had good results with Goodyear Gatorback belts. I purchased one last night at Autozone and installed the belt this morning and there is no belt noise or chirping. Ihopeing that the gatorback will last a long time as the belt noise is really annoying.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Sepentine Belt Chirp, Noise or Squeel

Gatorback has been my belt of choice for quite awhile. I had lots of miles with my Gatorback on my Bravada with no more noises.