Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

should i roll the dice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road
Default should i roll the dice

i have a 96 s10blazer 2wd with almost 260k miles on it. radiator got water into the transmission. i know ive never flushed the transmission. the only way to get all the water out of it is to flush the system. should i get the transmission flushed? when i changed the filter i think 6 months ago the fluid wasnt burnt and i didnt see or feel anything in the fluid. should i get it flushed or not and what are the chances of there being an issue afterwords?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

That all depends, how long was it driven with antifreeze in the tranny? Did you notice it right away and stop or was it slipping and thats how you noticed it, if it started slipping already, my guess is the clutches are smoked and you will be looking at a rebuild or find another tranny. In order to get all the water/antifreeze out of the tranny you would have to have it flushed, although the proper term is fluid exchange they simply push the dirty/old fluid out and fresh is put back in.

Last edited by Nvidia78; 11-04-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Starting Member

wasnt slipping. and it is actually just water no antifreeze. but yea i stopped and had it towed home because it was overheating and thats when i found out that happened in addition to the water pump being bad

Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazerpower
wasnt slipping. and it is actually just water no antifreeze. but yea i stopped and had it towed home because it was overheating and thats when i found out that happened in addition to the water pump being bad
I would have it towed to a good transmission shop in you area and have a fluid exchange done on the tranny, you will need that to get all the water out of the tranny. Beware of some shops tho they will try and tell you you need a new tranny or rebuild by just what you tell them happened, if you can go to ATRA website and see if there is a local ATRA shop in your area. The 1 down in my area treats me real good and we have developed a good trust with each other http://www.atra.com/ and use the shop finder

Last edited by Nvidia78; 11-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Starting Member

i know a few people in my area that are very trustworthy and do excellent work so im not worried about that. im very selective as to who i even consider and plus when you know former mechanics that can help direct you that helps out alot as well.

but you think it should be alright getting it flushed?

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-05-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Starting Member

but you think it should be alright getting it flushed?
I have a feeling that it would be ok getting it flushed, it will need that anyways to get all the water out... reasons are that you said it has not been slipping, that is telling me that the tranny is in pretty good shape, the only time a flush will make a tranny worse is if
1) The tranny has been slipping already, some people think a flush will fix it, it will not fix it, most of the time it will make it worse and finish the tranny off since a flush will be fresh clean fluid and as the old fluid had all the wore off clutch material left in it and
2) You said the fluid was not burnt
If you have someone you can trust they can tell a lot by just pulling the pan off, have them look and see if there is excessive clutch material etc in the pan... Dou you know if the tranny has been rebuilt anytime? It is possible that with 270K on the truck that it has been rebuilt sometime or a different tranny in there

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

If youre going to get a fluid exchange done I would make sure they drop the pan and change the filter too, some places won't change filters with a tranny fluid service. I have heard of a lot of peoples tranny's slipping after a flush and end up having to rebuild it anyway. with you having water in yours you really have no choice but to have a service done on it.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

you should try this first: grab a buddy to help you, first drop the pan and replace the filter since its csontainmated, then put the pan back on. then disconnect the upper tranny line at the top of the radiaoter and hook up a T-fitting between the line and the port in the radiator, and run clear tube from that T fitting into a bucket. now fill the tranny with new fluid up to the mark on the dipstick where it was when the truck was off before you drained the fluid. now start the truck, as the fuuild pumps out, have your buddy fill the tranny and you watch the fliud come out. when it comes clean turn off the truck and hook the tranny line back up. then check your fluid level. and your done. then test drive the truck.....

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Starting Member

will that pump any sort of trash or crap that might be in the transmission out of it?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

will that pump any sort of trash or crap that might be in the transmission out of it?
it will get most of all the containmated fliud out. however if water has been in there a long time then you may want to consider taking the valve body out and clean it if it looks like mine. im doing that now. look at my valve body picture below:

Quick Reply: should i roll the dice