Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

simething in my oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 PM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default simething in my oil

so there was a thread about a chocolate milkshake substance but i can't seem to find it. anyway, i went to check my oil since it was slightly above operating level on the dipstick and i wanted to check if it was getting down to normal because it smoke a little bit white like it's burning oil. i think my piston rings are a little shot too. and i still can't find out why my oil pressure reads 0 or very low quite often and other times it'll read 20 psi, usually when it's cold. the oil supposedly gets thicker when it warms up. but yeah so i pulled the dipstick and it looked like a milky substance. not all the oil, there was just a little bit of it on there. so i wiped it and pulled it again, and there was more of it. pretty much just at the very bottom. it wasn't dark, it was whitish but a little browm because the oil around it. i trying to figure out what it is and why it's there? my dad said he thinks its the additive we put in when we changed the oil. i bought a high mileage kit and it gave me sth called slick 50i believe? could that be it? also a brief thought of a blown head gasket came to mind. but it's not smoking too bad once i get it warm and it only ever smokes white, never blue like i've heard it does w/ a blown head gasket. also i noticed my coolant was leaking, but not rom the block, but rather from the top radiator hose. anyone got anything?

edit: oh and i tightened up the hose and it stopped. i was just wondering if somehow the leaky coolant could effect the oil situation

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: simething in my oil

Milkshakey oil is coolant mixing with the oil. Its either a Head gasket or an Intake Manifold gasket. Probably head as white smoke in the exhaust is burning coolant (blue smoke is oil).

Does your coolant look oil-y at all? And you really shouldnt be driving it untill you figure it out...coolant kills the lubricating properties of oil..so youre much more likely to spin a bearing or cause other damage..

Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM

right. but it doesnt look likethe dark brown goop i've seenbefore. i won't be driving it until i figure it out though. i don't have the tools/ shop to do this kind of work right now though.

and no my coolant doesn't look oily at all. so you don't think it could be that additive? it looks and feels to me like greese more than anything else

Old 12-09-2008, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

A few routes you could go to figure it out for sure would beeee (pick one or all )

1) coolant pressure test
2) compression test
3) get an oil change and dont use any additive (be sure to clean off the dip stick and oil cap of any residue to see if it returns)

But...youve got white exhaust...so its probably not just the additive. Although you could have 2 separate issues...leaking coolant into the chamber, and an oil additive gunking up your crankcase.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 AM

it's not a pure white smoke. it's like hazy. and its only really noticeable when it starts after being cold. which led me to think it was a little oil burning and then the piston rings expand and it stops. i'll do the oil change first, but my dad said it doesnt drain out it'll just sit in the bottom of the pan. which makes sense, cause thats where it is is just on the very bottom of the dipstick. and how would i go about doing a compression test?

lol sorry this is all out of wishful thinking

Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

More than likely, if the motor is running fine otherwise, it is valve seals that are leaking causing it to burn oil slightly (more noticeable smoke at initial cold startup).

I would recommend you drain the oil out and have a closer look at it. The dip stick is just too small of a sample to really see what is going on in there.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I can tell you that an intake gasket leaking will put enough moisture in the oil to cause a white haze in the exhaust.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:26 PM

ok. thanks to both of you. once i get off this sickness, i'll go buy some more oil and changeit out. another thing, my anti-freeze was leaking on the drivers side, close gto the remore oil filter lines, which are also somewhat leaky. but that seems like a far shot to me. i'll check it out thouhg, thanks for all your help