Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Slight rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Has it thrown any codes? Like an O2 sensor, MAF etc? I'm saying that because my '02 blazer has the same issues right now with the marine intake & 36lb injectors & no supercharger running. The engine is trying to suck air past the supercharger & the MAF is getting all messed up with the odd fuel to air... until Wednesday when I get the belt on the supercharger. But mine stumbles when shifting, has a rough idle & really low power, so all you've said is familiar.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

ive cleaned the MAF sensor maybe 2 years ago, and it was hardly dirty then. About a week ago i took it out and it didnt look like it had a speck of dust on it so i left it alone.

but no, no codes or anything, dosent seem to hesitate at all, decent power for almost 300k km's.

I did clean my egr valve yesterday, got a felpro gasket for like $2 but i had to go to 3 different stores to get it and they didnt have any with a screen. i also didnt have a brush narrow enough to fit in the engine cavities.

Truck dosent seem to "shutter" when hot and in park as bad. its like it would run smooth then shutter 1 second then run smooth then give a little shutter again and so forth. nothing major, but you can feel it in the seat, who knows maybe its normal and im after a problem that cant be fixed.

But one horrifying thing i noticed working yesterday was a very small puddle of coolant down and to the left of the egr in a spot very hard to see behind the pully's.

I hope its just from when my upper rad hose blew up a few weeks ago, will coolant sit on your engine for a long time without evaporating? cause the hose blew up weeks ago :S

Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should have evaporated by now... Could be a sign of a lower intake manifold gasket failure.

As far as the intermittent misfire/stumble goes... I have seen a lot of vehicles do this for no apparent reason.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran

well i just called a new shop for prices. just over $700 for install of felpro gaskets (upper and lower) and also said the kit comes with valve cover gaskets and grommets for something, and said they'd clean up the valve covers too.

or just over $500 for the oem plastic gaskets and no valve cover job.

not too rediculous. Their ad said $60/hour

So is this a 4-6 hour job?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran

drove 3 hours to buddies shop and tore apart my engine 2 days ago.

pic was taken right after we took it off, looks pretty clean

about 287 000km's

got the felpro gasket kit for $110(lower/upper intake/valve cover and grommets/o-rings)
driver side axle seal-$14
new rotor-$19
oil change-$30
lower rad hose and clamps-$34
1156 underhood light bulb-$1.24
tire rotation-free
labour-$200

total=408.24 plus gas there and back not bad.

my old rotor had a big black burnt looking chunk on the end which helped smooth out the motor a bit.

bet at a shop it would have been well over $1000 worth of work.