Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Spark plug wires arcing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member
Dartanian81 is on a distinguished road
Default Spark plug wires arcing?

These are brand new spark plug wires, and spark plugs.

My question is:
Is it normal when you wiggle your plug wires in the dark you can see blue transparently through the rubber the whole length?

I just replaced the ignition coil yesterday because it was arcing bad, whole truck was studdering and starting really hard. Now it starts fairly easy but still studders.

They all pretty much light up blue inside when I wiggle them... Is that because they have too much resistance? I'm really confused of what to do next.

Appreciate any advice.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
phreno is on a distinguished road
Wink Im not really pro at this but will tell you what I do know...

First is the Cap & Rotor in Good shape, fastened properly?
Wires, If you lay them out on a flat surface putting in order shortest to longest...Ok then get you fire order...Now laying them out shortest is #1 next #2 next#3 ect... You match the Number of wire to the number of cylinder in the correct* fire order...I found some wire sets it matters it can throw firing order off...Engine will MISS! Rule that I use is do not touch wires or coil or anything when vehicle is running lots of juice* may nock you down if bit...lol Ive done that one ... Plugs never trust the set gap...out of the packaging! Gap it! also with all the plug options there are varied settings or gap, the bosch platinum for example is measured different than a NGK v-powered, ect... know what you want from the plug you use...Ive always used factory parts they seem to go the distance...You can gap larger for more power but then have to replace sooner! When seeing arcing at night means the wires are usually a cheaper quality... its ok, sometimes, but then you have to make sure they are not next to metal, or crossing and away from each other cause they can jump spark causing missfire... I would highly recommend factory wires or even great companys who know wires like example: accel, mallory, ac delco...Insulation means a lot! Arcing can also cause fire! You get what you pay for... Platinum plugs are great if set properly if not can be a disaster... Ive spent lots of time with different wires and plugs , the only thing Ive found different is modified engines Example: a ford 302 block with a 351 w--- head set up, you can do your wires according to either 302 firing order or the cam being 351 this order can be used...I call it rat motoring...works but makes you think of how you want to set it up... Some plugs sold are also marketing! Like I said, know what you want from your plug! Why pay $17 Each when you can pay $2.89 for the same result, don't skim on wires Great wires make Smooth power/Clean transfer!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

So i have a broken plug wire loom that hold the spark plug wires, but I have heard this won't matter if spark plug wires cross. Infact the manual states the more untidy the wires the better, as running them side by side can induce magnetic voltage and create misfire. None of my wires run perpendicullar, and I have them all in the correct length and firing order I assure you.

I guess I'm taking it back to the shop again for the ****ing 15th time in the 5 months of owned this peice of **** blazer....

Never again will I ever buy another blazer. When I buy another vehicle I'm going to set this one on fire so that it may never torture another human being again.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Wires have nothing to do with the "pos" blazer dude. you can go buy a kia,or a honda and have the same problem. Why are you taking it to a shop so they can charge you over 100 bucks to replace the wires etc when it can take you 30 min to do it yourself? Nothing hard to do. Just lay out the new ones,remove 1 old one at a time,find the one thats the same length and replace. you just have 6 of em. I can do mine in 10 minutes. Most of the time cars break down do to neglect. You said you owned it for 5 months? Did the owner before you not take care of it? or did you not actually look at things,instead take it around the block,noticed it drove ok and bought it?

Dont consider what i said to be offensive, Alot of people blame the vehicle when its just neglect. Any car wont last forever unless you take car of it

Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Beginning Member

It's just a long list of issues this truck has had since I put it on the road, previous owner has nothing to do with this. The whole motor is practically rebuilt. The ignition stuff has been redone too, all new wires, spark plugs, dizzy, coil , you name it.

I've been chasing issues down on the truck for months using this forum, and you know what i've had alot of good advice, stuff I may of even overlooked, but this godamn blazer.

It's just when you fix one thing, another thing breaks on this truck.

Maintenance has been a nightmare.

I'm taking it to the shop because It's the second time i've changed the wires, and I'm not positive that's even the problem. As I haven't had any advice to what It really could be. Everything is ac delco, and top of the line products.

You said you can change all your plugs in 30 minutes, you must be speedy gonzales, the number 6 and 5 cylinder plug can turn a good day into a really frustrating day. You need to be a gymnist to get to them.

Plus I'm just not sure it's even the wires. This is the second time replacing them, and I know what I'm doing. It's dumbfounding this issue. I don't get it.

Everything is perfect, I just don't understand.

Read back on my older posts, you will understand why I want to set it ablaze... haha

Here's a thought, what if the guy at the chevy dealer frigged up the length on the spark plug wires when I first had them changed?

If I went by the old ones when I changed them, could I have just redid the same problem over with new wires?

How long is each cylindar plug wire?
I don't know how I could of missed something like this though.. Closest cylinder to the dizzy the shorter the wire... I mean. It couldn't be that simple could it?

Now I'm prolly hoping. =(

Nah checked, everything is fine. Put new wires on, Went and ran the spark plug wires a different route so that they weren't touching anything, now there is barely any arcing except for two spots where the wires come in contact with the waterpump hoses near the firewall.

I also took apart the dizzy to check it out, cleaned and reassembled. Changed a path of a electrical wire that was interferring with the route of the passenger side plug wires.

Still having stuttering problems, and now I think it may actually be starting harder than before.

My only option now is a shop where they can butt-rape me again i guess.
Although I'm keeping a gas can and matches handy for when I get the bill.

Last edited by swartlkk; 09-09-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ok,sounds like you about got the arch thing fixed. Now for the studdering issue. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge handy? Check the fuel pressure. Make sure its got 60 psi at key on,and holds more then 52ish after 10 minutes. if thats a go,at least we have anything fuel related clear.

another idea is remove the egr valve and clean it,might be gummed up. that can cause studdering issues. It may not all be related to the wires,could be other things. Your outside playing with this at 3am,if i were you id say screw it and go to bed,id end up burning it down myself at 3am lol

Old 09-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Beginning Member

Well I got myself pumped up and determined to fix it, haha.

I've already had a leakdown test done at the Dealer, it passed.

I've cleaned the Egr valve, even bought one of those nifty gaskets with the screen in it.

I've cleaned the maf sensor, and the o2 sensors are all brand new.

I've also bought new a Throttle position sensor, because someone thought maybe that was the problem.

Truck starts kinda hard, after like 4 tries, and It runs okay-ish when cold but when it gets warmed up is when the real problems occur.

So before I decided it had to be an ignition problem...
I thought at one point maybe my catalytic converter was going, so I had the garage look at it. They claimed it was okay.

So I'm really quite out of ideas. It's either something so simple, or something quite serious. I'll post back if anything new develops.

Thanks Chris for the advice.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM
BF Veteran

Im tossing ideas around in my head.

Tried replacing the coolant temp sensor? It tells the computer if the engines cold,warm etc and it screws around with the fuel mixture. its like 14 bucks for a new one.

How many miles is on this beast?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

I had someone tell me yesterday at napa the same thing, I will try it, it's a cheap part. Prolly get it this afternoon.

154 k miles on the blazer. She's getting up there.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 AM
phreno is on a distinguished road
Default need more

What year , engine, do u have? I may have your answer... does it bogg when reving, does it shake at idle? Motor size important...if u already posted this I missed it.injection or throttle body?????

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires arcing?