Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Spider injector again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 PM
92tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spider injector again?

OK,I have a 92 -4dr,4wd,4.3 cpi vortec 131k.A little overy a year ago I had my spider injector go bad,and had it replaced by a mechanic, who also changed the cap,rotor,plugs,it ran fine for a few months,no problems.I got a little cavalier to save some gas and parked my blazer.One year later,after starting the truck monthly while in storage I decided to get her back on the road.I didnt start it for a couple months and it started running really rough.I changed the plugs,oil change,gonna clean EGR tomorrow,it is now running excellent,I also repaired(duct tape) a vacuum line going to evap canister.Heres the thing,Im still getting a gassy smell from the engine,like gas evaporating or something,very similar to when the injector failed.I only put around 3000 miles tops on the new injector before I stored the truck.I dont want to keep running like this,I also cleaned the O2 ,as it was fairly new before inkector failed,it was not bad at all .THe truck is getting really good power now too,which has me baffled,also no problems starting,no CEL,idle smoothed out tremendously after I changed the plugs,taped the vacuum line.I have also sprayed some deep creep into intake,pcv to help clear carbon,then I ran injector cleaner,before I changed the plugs.One plug had definte black crud on it after a half tank of gas,I tried cleaning them last week.My mileage was fine tonight,I went out for a decent highway trip.PLEASE someone help,I cannot afford another spider injector.Oh I cleaned and re oiled the K&N too today.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Spider injector again?

I cleaned the EGR today,and the IAC sensor and the port to intake for sensor ,the truck hiuck is running great ,gas mpg seems to be ok,but I only drove around for an hour or so.Starts much better,it never had much of a issue with starting.However,I am still getting that funky,almost varnish like gas smell from the engine,hust like when the spider injector went out.I guess I could keep driving it the way it is,its still in decent shape so Im not about to junk it ,especially the way its running now,I blew a Impala away today on the highway,I couldnt resist!So horsepower seems to be better then when I bought the truck,and its always had plenty of power,but that smell is back.Why isnt the truck running bad though??

Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Spider injector again?

OK,so I cleaned the MAP sensor port,blew the MAP out with some air.I had to reset the IAC,it was causing the truck to hold 2000rpms on startup before idling down.I checked the pintle,it was ok,I think I got some carb cleaner inside the sensor.After reseting,it seems to be ok.And Holy ****ing horse ****,the gas smell is gone?????Power is good,mpg great,I havent calibrated it yet,but Its a little over 20mpg for sure in city,I will update on this later after I can gauge it a little more.So maybe I just needed to run a couple of fresh tanks of gas after sitting?I thought it was the spider injector or fuel presuure reg.,something along those lines.I also checked and cleaned TPS,I found a spider nest inside(truck was parked under a tree).So I will update if any issues come up.Truck now idles around 700,it never idled that low since ive had it.Also after cleaning the IAC and EGR,my braking seems to better too,I have lost a surge that I had during downshifts as well.Now I am just getting the ***** to do a water -de carbonization,I will update on that ,if I do it.I will probably try it on my cavalier first!

92 LT Tahoe 4dr 4x4
4.3 Vortec CPI
oil/trans cooler
K&N filter
AC Delco coil/rotor /Rapidfire plugs