Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Squealing of Serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 PM
basketballmail2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squealing of Serpentine belt

Hey Guys,

Just received my blazer again after it was on the go for almost 2 months, had it shipped over to Switzerland where I could now finally pick it up again. One thing I noticed is that the serpentine belt is squealing like crazy. Took it off, checked it (already replaced it back in December) cleaned the Idler pulley made sure everything spins freely, but still no difference.

I assume it's the belt tensioner, but before I go out and buy a new one ( more expensive over here in Switzerland, not just 40$) I wanted to check in with you guys to see what you think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZfDXwVB2I

Video of it squealing, I have the feeling it is getting worse, the car has 113k miles on it and I'm guessing it is still the original tensioner.

Any input on the topic is gladly appreciated!

Cedric

Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Squealing of Serpentine belt

'"pour some water on the belt and see if the nosie goes away. If so it could just be something on the belt or a pulley making it squell. Once the water is gone the noise should return though. They sell a product called belt dressing that helps get rid of the squell.

I would also use a mechanics stethiscope (sp) to pin point the exact location of the noise, it could be a pulley on the alternator, hence your alt going out. Mechanics stehtescope- I use a piece of steel rod about 2 feet long with a wooden handle on one end. The rod is about 3/16" diameter. Put it on the parts to and listen for grinding/squeling. You'll know when you find the cuprit. My stethescope is a old hot dog stick used for campfires, the double fork broke off the end, leaving the rod and wooden handle, works great. Piece of vacuum hose tapes to a stick will work too.

by the way, one end goes to your ear and the pther end goes on the part. Careful, move it only when your watching what your doing. Leaving it up to your ear and then moving could be detrimental to your health. [:@]

Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Well, I just went out and played doctor, listened to everything, everything sounds normal, tried the trick with the water, and go figure it worked, and once the water was gone it came back again. Does this mean the noise is coming from within the pullys or what causes that squealing? Seams weird that it started now after the car hasn't been driven much in almost 2 months. What's the best permanent way to fix that? Get a new belt? What is the best way to lube the pullies, I already tried spraying the gaps with some lube before I even posted here without any luck.

Thanks Cedric

Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Slayder is an unknown quantity at this point

Your sqeal is coming from the label on the belt, every time it hits the upper idler pulley (with the backside) it causes the sqeal.
You can try to sand the label down but I would recommend to replace it with a Goodyear gatorback belt.

The first time I heard this I didn't belive it either but I'm currently working on the same issue.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Well I'm gonna try that out as soon as I get home. Sounds weird but I'll give it a shot. At least for a short time fix. I can't get the Gatorbacks over here so I'll have to order one from the USA. So in the mean time I'll just try the sanding fix until I get around to ordering a better one! I'll let you all know how it went!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Nope no luck with that, tried sanding it off, didn't help, onlything that helps is water. I guess I'm just gonna get a new belt, sucks as the belt is only like 6 months old and only had like 10k miles put on it. But I guess that's what happens if you get a cheap one from autozone

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Got a goodyear belt, it's one that's a little bit shorter about 5mm or less, and that fixed the problem.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

good to hear you got your problem fixed