Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Stalling while towing only

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:55 AM
97blazerDad is on a distinguished road
Default Stalling while towing only

Hi everyone! New to the forums, and have enjoyed the reads. Now for my problem.
I have had my 97 blazer 4x4 (147k miles) for about 3 months. Everything was running fine until about 2 weeks ago when I had to pass someone. Engine light came on and flashed at me (I know this is bad) changed distributor cap and rotor, and it was back to normal. Three days ago I had to haul a load of plywood(10 sheets 1/2in) about 20 miles. Within the first 5 miles the engine stumbled a bit and then picked back up, by 10 miles the light flashed at me again and the engine stalled. It fired right back up and I was able to baby the pedal and get it home. Engine light is still on, but I didn't want to take it too far to have it scanned since I have had it flash at me twice now. I am also getting a raw gas smell inside the cab. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I plan to change the plugs and wires today as well as checking the evap canister. Other than that I am completely stumped, as it was running fine before I hauled a load with it. Thanks for the help in advance.
Forgot to mention, it only stalled while towing the trailer. Drove it a short distance after I dropped the trailer and it ran like usual with the exception of the engine light staying on.

Last edited by 97blazerDad; 04-05-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Run a code scan and see what codes it's throwing. A flashing engine light means a catylist damaging issue. This means it's likely dumping raw fuel or coolant out the exhaust. Scan first, then next step would be a fuel pressure leakdown test to make sure your injectors are holding fuel pressue, if one is stuck open it could give you an issue of that sort.

Also, check your oil and make sure it's not milky, and filled with coolant to help rule that out.(it's a less likely scenario, but a more serious issue if it is the case)

Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. Oil is clean and still golden colored. I will take it to have a code scan done later today, I just dont want to cause any catastrophic damage by driving it too far. My closest parts store is about 20 miles away or so. The gas smell started after my last fill up, so a stuck or clogged injector certainly can't be ruled out at this point.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:39 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Oops missed the part of your original post that said raw fuel smell.

The poppet valves on the injectors are known to be problematic, so while it could be a spark issue, it is more likely to be injector related, especially since you're dumping enough raw fuel to smell up the cabin.

If you do end up needing a new injector assembly, they have upgraded ones that convert to mpfi and do away with the problematic poppet valves. AC Delco is the recommended brand

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM

I am about to head to the parts store now. The fuel smell seemed to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, but I was not able to find any leaks. A few days ago it sounded like the fuel pump was staying in prime mode, today it is acting normal again but still has the engine light. Could it be a bad fuel pump relay!? I will post codes as soon as I get back home. This is my second blazer but the first one I've had any issues with. I do have some mechanical knowledge and experience but most of that is from small 4cyl vehicles, so looking under the hood of one of these looks pretty intimidating with so much shoved in the engine bay. Lol
Thanks again, and standby for codes.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 AM

So about 5 min after I left my house, engine light went out. No more gas smell, running like a top. Parts store couldn't get any codes because the light went off. I'm going to continue with my plug and wire change, and go ahead and change the coolant and thermostat because it looks like the coolant needs it, and hope for the best for now I guess. Also im gonna have someone do a fuel pressure test to rule that out as well. I greatly appreciate the quick reply and will definitely keep y'all posted if the light returns.