Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM
jonesjamesw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter Issues

What does it take to shim (spelling?)a starter?

Thanks!

JJ

Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Default RE: Starter Issues

Sorry...it's a 97 blazer

JJ

Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just placing the shims between the starter and the block. You will leave the inboard bolt installed, but loose. Then slip your shim(s) in to position making sure that the one end goes over the bolt that is still installed, then line up the holes and install the other bolt. Tighten it down.

Most starters can be checked with a go/no-go block, but with the full bellhousing, I don't think you can do this...

In the future, please put your vehicle information in your signature and attach it to your post OR edit your post as to not have two consecutive posts. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The few times I tried to shim a starter I used a dap of RTV to hold the shim to the starter. My big **** hands made it almost impossible to put the shim in while the starter wat in place. In the end though, the shime didn't do a thing and out it came.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 PM

ok so there is one shim already on my 97 blazer. where do i place the other?

JJ

Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If there is one shim already, that is all that you should use upon first assembly. The replacement instructions state to reuse any shims that you remove with no mention of additional shims. The only case where you would need additional shims would be if you had problems with the starter not engaging after you installed the new one.