Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Strange tranny action

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
BB72 is on a distinguished road
Default Strange tranny action

I have a 2000 Blazer with some weird things happening with my transmission. We just toasted the tranny(slipping) probably due to this problem . I won't shift in auto, it will shift in manual though in 2nd and 3rd, not first and OD and is drivable. The slipping probably started because it was taking off in OD or 3rd from a dead stop.I was reading up on it and there's been a few ideas, the computer(PCM?) or the ignition switch from what I understand powers the shift solenoids. Any ideas to add here? Also too I have to unplug my MAF sensor and run on defaults because the engine bogs right out, this started long before the tranny shifting problem started. Is this just simply cleaning the MAF sensor with electrical cleaner? Thanks

Rob

PS The codes have not been read yet and ABS isn't working.

Last edited by BB72; 03-22-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A problem with the MAF sensor can cause severe transmission problems.

If the valve cover vent line was not hooked up to the intake duct above the throttle body, this could cause the truck to run VERY poorly with the MAF sensor plugged in as the MAF sensor would not see the air being pulled through this open port.

About your transmission problem, you say that you do not have 1st gear or 4th gear (OD). Is this correct? The reason I ask is because this is quite odd for the 4L60E to lose these two gears and still have 2nd & 3rd. And then to not shift when in the OD position... Could you run through the exact symptoms you are experiencing once more, especially what happens in all of the gear positions.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM
BB72 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your response. I will investigate the vent line issue when it's not so damn cold out. As far as cleaning the MAF sensor, does anybody have an easy safe way to clean it to eliminate it as a problem?

As far as the tranny shifting that I'm having, I read in one of the posts here that this is the exact symtoms of whats called limp mode for the transmission. Possibly a blown fuse. I can only shift manually between 2nd and 3rd, thats it. No 1st or 4th or auto shifting. I have slipping too but thats internal .

Rob

Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that does sound familiar. It is very strange that my ATSG manual nor my other references do not mention this...