Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Stuck on Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Starting Member
T-Rex is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck on Cruise Control?

I have an `03 Blazer 4 door, and the other day my cruise control (driving down the interstate) was stuck on 70. The issue first started going up a hill, for some reason the engine jumped to 4000 RPM, then the RPM stayed above 2,000 even after I had tried shutting the cruise off both with the brakes and the slider. At first i had thought the throttle cable had gotten caught on its bracket, but i pulled over and checked and nixed that option. After shutting down and restarting the issue did not happen again. Anybody experienced this before? What can I do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Starting Member
tomefs is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise Control turned on by itself

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I have an `03 Blazer 4 door, and the other day my cruise control (driving down the interstate) was stuck on 70. The issue first started going up a hill, for some reason the engine jumped to 4000 RPM, then the RPM stayed above 2,000 even after I had tried shutting the cruise off both with the brakes and the slider. At first i had thought the throttle cable had gotten caught on its bracket, but i pulled over and checked and nixed that option. After shutting down and restarting the issue did not happen again. Anybody experienced this before? What can I do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
The same thing happened to me, The car started speeding up on its own and the CC would not turn off I put it in n at speed then it over reved So I shut it off at 60 mph and coasted to a stop

Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

On my '95, there are two cables going to the throttle under the hood. One is from the gas pedal, and I always assumed the other was cruise control? If so, could you just undo that one, to at least not have a runaway blazer? '03 might not even have that setup, though.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

No...the 2 cable under hood is not for cruise control....1 for throttle/accelerator pedal....the other is for throttle valve (TV) cable for Trans. DON'T REMOVE EITHER CABLE or touch them for that matter. If you mess with TV cable, you can kill the trans almost instantly next drive. Cruise is applied by vacuum. There's a switch right near brake switch. It has vacuum line to it. Sometimes that switch just falls apart and then you can't use brake to kill the cruise. Only by the switch on the turn signal.

Rereading top two posts, the slide switch on the turn signal didn't work either? Have a look under dash there is a 3 wire cable (pink white & gray wires, if recall) with a flat connector on end (almost resembles a SD card). That 3 wire cable runs down inside column and routed out through the bottom/base. Maybe water or something in that main connection. Throwing those ideas out there....\

Ah, also verify your brake lights are working properly...if your brake switch is on the fritz, CC does not shut off by brake either.

Last edited by cubawashere; 04-15-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cubawashere
No...the 2 cable under hood is not for cruise control....1 for throttle/accelerator pedal....the other is for throttle valve (TV) cable for Trans. DON'T REMOVE EITHER CABLE or touch them for that matter. If you mess with TV cable, you can kill the trans almost instantly next drive. Cruise is applied by vacuum. There's a switch right near brake switch. It has vacuum line to it. Sometimes that switch just falls apart and then you can't use brake to kill the cruise. Only by the switch on the turn signal.
I know the 700R4 had a TV cable, but I thought they did away with that on the 4L60E?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

shoot... you know what? I have no idea...lol I'll look that up real quick.....thanks

**UPDATE**

I forget that this did change...You were 100% correct Cle, thanks for pointing that out. It's not a vacuum system that yr. The '03 has a CC Module on driver side firewall... maybe moisture in connector there (12 pin)? In the module is the stepper motor, it's supposed to be directly connected to the throttle linkage. It's the cable that has threads with a ring that can be adjusted.

So possibilities are issue with brake switch, CCM, or turn signal/multifunction switch. If you need to disable CC, pull F11 fuse under hood 10A

Last edited by cubawashere; 04-15-2014 at 11:34 PM.