Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

suggestions please? frozen motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
96blazersls is on a distinguished road
Default suggestions please? frozen motor

recently picked up a 4wd blazer that supposedly had a shot starter. turns out the motor wont even spin by the crank pulley bolt. so i am in the middle of pulling the motor and then it occurs to me, how do i get the tq converter bolts out if the motor doesnt spin? any extra suggestions would help at this point. thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

hold up a sec, check the easy stuff first my motor did the same thing and turned out to only be a bad fuel pressure regulator that had filled the cylinders on pass. side (fuel does not compress = motor would not turn) pull the oil dipstick and see if it smells like fuel if so your looking at less than $50 and about an hour of work to have it running. Can't hurt to check it out might save yourself some time and money. Another thing to check (if you haven't already) take the belt off and try to turn it over I've seen frozen ps pumps cause engines to not be able to turn over before too.

Other than that if the motor truly is frozen I'd guess your best bet is remove the front clip and pull motor and tranny as one piece.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:01 PM

i checked the oil, looks kinda fresh. clear light brown. i have tried turning with crank when the belt was on and now today when the accesories and belt were off. that is interesting you mentioned the regulator because i have the spark plugs on the driver side out but not the passenger side. might have to give that a shot first.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely pull the plugs on the passenger side.

As far as the torque converter bolts... Well, it all depends on how much of a hurry you are in. If you can wait it out, spray some penetrating oil into all of the cylinders at least once a day for a few days, then try to spin the motor over again. If you are in a hurry, unbolt the transmission and very carefully slide the transmission off leaving the torque converter attached to the back of the engine. Then once the engine is out, try to brake it loose again to remove the torque converter bolts.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM

thanks for the replies everyone. i am curious as to what kind of oil to spray in the cylinders. i have not heard of that to free up a motor but it sure couldnt hurt to try.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Beginning Member
BuckingBullMan is on a distinguished road

Marvel Mystery oil works great on frozen engines!!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have used regular motor oil cut with some diesel fuel before. It is not something you can just put in and it instantly frees up the motor. It will take some time to soak in.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

i would use the marvel mystery oil

Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM

what would be the easiest way to put some marvel in? intake manifold?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Through the spark plug holes as previously suggested.

Quick Reply: suggestions please? frozen motor