Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Take Off Spudering

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member
bksowers1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Take Off Spudering

So just recently I have noticed when I give my 2000 blazer a fair amount of gas at take off it sputters real bad like its out of gas, but if I baby it and take off smooth it doesn't do it. Have any of you had this problem? The check engine light is not on. Thanks for the advice. Also my gas gauge jumps around alot and my tach gauge sticks sometimes. Id this something that happens with age? Is there a easy fix?

Last edited by bksowers1; 02-09-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you gone through the usual tune up items? Cap, rotor, plugs, wires? How about cleaning the EGR valve and MAF sensor (both covered in the Tech Article DIY section)?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you gone through the usual tune up items? Cap, rotor, plugs, wires? How about cleaning the EGR valve and MAF sensor (both covered in the Tech Article DIY section)?
I changed my plugs, wires, and EGR valve about 52,000 miles ago but I have never changed the cap and rotor. Do you think that would cause issues like that? I also changed my fuel filter and I clean the MAF sensor every time I clean my K&N.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take a look at the cap and rotor.

Also, I would clean the MAF sensor 200-500 miles after you clean the filter. It is the oil on the filter which can coat the MAF sensor causing it to read incorrectly. After a few hundred miles, the filter should have let off any excess and you should be good to clean the sensor without fear of major contamination after that.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I'd take a look at the cap and rotor.

Also, I would clean the MAF sensor 200-500 miles after you clean the filter. It is the oil on the filter which can coat the MAF sensor causing it to read incorrectly. After a few hundred miles, the filter should have let off any excess and you should be good to clean the sensor without fear of major contamination after that.
Thanks Ill look in to that.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
juddkennedy is on a distinguished road

bksowers1 did that work?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by juddkennedy
bksowers1 did that work?
I have the parts sitting in the garage but have had no time to do it. As soon as I do I will let you know.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

what plugs did you use by chance?

once you set aside some time to tackle the cap and rotor (half hour tops) you can also do a quick diagnosis of plug health. if you are dumping a lot of go juice to em and they are struggling to burn it off, it might be worth you time to pull a plug or 2 from each side and gauge how the old engine is running. you can get a reference pic of what bad plugs look like easily, and compare your plugs to it. (i.e. if you are running too rich, too lean, melting your crap down, etc.)

Also, try not to dump the gas to it unless you need to

Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your cap, rotor, AND wires! I had bad wires cause similiar symptoms. hope it helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Beginning Member
Chuck_X2 is on a distinguished road

Let me know when you figure out the problem with that bouncy fuel guage, my 2000 does the same thing. The only time it reads accurate is when its slap full of gas. Most likely that dang float inside the tank, but I just cant justify doing all that work only to have a fuel guage.
Back to the point I wanted to make. I to had the speedy takeoff sputtering issue, a full tune up fixed her right up

By the way, carefull on those fast take off's and be really careful in 4wd low. I snapped both Motor Mounts at the same time goofing off with my friends one night
Sucks their made out of pop metal material

Quick Reply: Take Off Spudering