Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

temp. oil drail plug broke off inside pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default temp. oil drail plug broke off inside pan

So, went to Mr. Lube for an oil change and they said the "wing" part of the temporary drain lug broke off and is inside the pan. They tried to get it out with no luck, they say it will just sit in the bottom of the pan and not harm anything. Should i be concerned?

it looked like brass or something maybe, so it might not be held down by the magnet, but im not sure, maybe it is ferrous.....any thoughts?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

'Temporary' drain plug? What exactly are you talking about? Anything of any weight could just sit in the bottom unless you hit a bump with force at which time it might contact the bottom of the crank - not a good thing. At any rate, if they were the ones who broke it off, I would make darned sure that they are the ones who get it out, probably by dropping the pan. They won't like that, for sure.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Starting Member
HorrorxHotel is on a distinguished road

I would definitely be concerned about a piece of metal floating around my oil pan. If they broke it, like riddle said I'd make them drop the pan and get it out, it's their responsibility

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if they dropped something in there I would make them get it out and make sure they do it for free since it was their screw up.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Theres about a 1/4" space between the bottom of the crank and the oil pan. the magnet may hold this mysterious piece, however is it worth a new engine?

There is no temp anything in the oil pan. Its a bolt for drainage and thats it. No wing nuts or anything like that. Unless someone changed it on your truck. And even if they did, the wings are not inside the pan. The pan has a threaded hole, thats it. What you plug the hole with is up to you, however the factory bolt works great, unless you strip the threads or round the nut. Then its a couple bucks to replace it.