Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

There is nothing left to change!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:38 PM
pulsarbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There is nothing left to change!

Please understand, I am totally fed up with this Blazer. This has become a QUEST to fix it now. I have replaced the following items on this vehicle in order to solve one main problem. It is sluggish and seems to lack power. I replaced; ignition coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition module, cam position sensor, O2 sensors, CAT, transmission (twice), timing chain & gears, water pump, raidiator, must I go on?

It runs ok now. It shifts ok. But it just seems like it doesn't have any power. I think the distributor got installed wrong. But the book says to line up #4 cylinder on the distributor and the timing dots on the chain gears. I tried that with the same result. I am now changing the gears again. The chain seemed to have a lot of slack in it for a new chain.

Chain is installed and now for the distributor. But how do I align it to make sure it is in the right position if I don't have the marks to go by? Can someone please help with this? I need to see if this was my problem. Thank you so much.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: There is nothing left to change!

Ok, after searching back through your previous posts, I found out that you have a '98 Blazer. Please take the time to include that information in your signature and attach it to all of your posts (there is a setting in your profile to do this automatically). That will help us all give you the most clear and concise information for your particular application and problem.

Now, onto your problem...
I'm not sure of the book directions you are reading from. Here is the directions as stated in the FSM: EDI Engine Timing

Give that a try and let us know how it goes. I'm hazy on the cylinder specifics of this engine, but if you are aligning the timing marks on the cam/crank gears and setting the distributor to the #4 cylinder, this could cause the PCM some fits as it thinks (through the crank position sensor) that #1 should be firing while in actuality, #4 is firing. This could cause the loss of power that you are experiencing. All of the timing instructions that I have ever read have you time to TDC #1 cylinder.

Also, I don't know if you have pulled off the gears for the balance shaft, but if you did, you need to align the timing marks on the balance shaft driven and drive gears.

Other recommendations would be to check how dirty your MAF sensor is as I didn't read anything about that in any of your previous posts. The MAF sensor can cause all kinds of seeminly unrelated problems, including loss of power as well as transmission shifting problems. There are quite a few threads on the proper cleaning procedure for the MAF sensor, but here's a quick synopsis. Disassemble the MAF sensor from the two end bells that make up the assembly. Use MAF specific cleaner to clean the elements. If the blast of the cleaner can isn't enough to return the elements to their whitish silver color, then you may need to GENTLY use a q-tip dipped in the cleaner to clean them. Be VERY careful as a new MAF sensor is not cheap and the elements are very fragile.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 PM
94blazer4.3ho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: There is nothing left to change!

I dont know much about what your talking about. Just how sluggish is it. These outfits arnt that powerfull to begin with.