Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Things to do while the engine is out? Make me a sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 06:34 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Default Things to do while the engine is out? Make me a sticky?

Hello, all. Well, this is my second go-round on the Blazer forum, and I'm in about the same spot.. Engine problem. The first time was 5 years ago ?? I want to half remember and half forget that one, until I get my next 1st Gen and get that one right. Anyways. I have a Gen2 now and while I got it in virtually perfect, more like perfect engine/transmission shape, services kept up on and everything.. I now made it have a rod knock. Yeah, I did that. I own that. And now I own the fix. The funny part is.. it still runs pretty well, but that rod knocking is not for the driving, so. Engine will be being changed. Looking like from a 1998 somethingoranother (Astro? Astro vans had VIN W? So I don't know. And I don't really care, it's likely a perfect engine like the one it is replacing was before I damaged it. It still runs with the knock...)

And, hence, the purpose of this thread.

I found a shop that says that they are "very fair on engine removal" so I'm going to go with them.

PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD: What are some "other things to do" while the engine is out of the car!? (Truck)

So far, what I can think of is:

- Flush cooling system. (Should I get a little bottle of the Radiator flush and drive around with it in for two weeks? Can't hurt anything, engine is coming out of the car, right?)
- Change spark plugs when engine is out. Put new wires and distributor cap and rotor on engine going in.
- New "Front and rear seals" although I am not sure the front seal they are referring to.

Anything else?

Old 02-17-2020, 10:03 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

intake gaskets