Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Thinkin fuel pump problems? Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
98BlazerBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Thinkin fuel pump problems? Need Help!

Ok so heres the deal guys. I just installed a 2" performance accsecories Body lift and now the fuel pump does not work work. I beleve its the pump 1. because i can not hear it wen i turn the key
2. Becouse if i pour fuel into the throttle body it starts

I have tried a new relay and thats not it i think its gotta be a ground somewhere idk where tho! the only one i know of that the fuel pump is hooked to is the ground all the way in the back on the drivers side frame.

I hadda done somthing wrong when installing the lift!!! Help please!!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

check the grounds on the pump also see if theres power going to your fuel pump with a testlight

might be a loose ground or corrosion

Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Pull the relay and meter the 2 terminals that go to the contacts on the relay and turn the ignition on. You should show 12 volts. If not there is an open in the circuit.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The BL should give you sufficient room to pull the electrical connector at the pump & test for power & ground there as well. If you don't have power & ground for the pump, chances are, the pump is not the problem (or at least isn't the only problem you have).

Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member

Ok i got 12 volts at the relay. For the fuel pump there are 2 plugs..... The plug with 3 wires goin in (positive,negitive,ground) i have like 8 volts......For the other plug which i do not kno what its for???? i cant get anything to read on the meter but im not sure which contacts are what in the plug so that makes it hard to figure out where to touch the meter.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated! thanks

Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

the other plug is for your fuel gauge

Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

Well then i do have power to the pump but my meter is only reading 5 or 6 volts......Is it sposed to be 12? I just dont understand how the pump could work and the truck ran fine till i put in the body lift and now it dont work???? I check the ground for it and cleaned that up so i think thats fine. Ive tryed a new relay wasnt that so now idk what to do

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The connector for the pump should have 4 wires in it. Two go to the pump & two go to the fuel level sending unit. The connector with 3 wires is for the fuel tank pressure sensor. Sounds like you are measuring the +5V reference line to the FTP sensor.

On the one to the pump, there should be two black wires at the fuel pump. Both should have good continuity to ground. The gray wire is the +12V from the relay to the pump. The 4th wire should be purple & is the fuel level sending unit return to the PCM.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
BF Guru

i think there should be 12 volts to the pump i say check with your local auto parts to find the voltage needed to power the pump , but i strongly agree that it should be 12 volts

Edit: there you go ^^ =P

Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so i dont have any power to the plug with the 4 wires (2 black 1 grey 1 purple)

Where should i start?!?!?!?

Quick Reply: Thinkin fuel pump problems? Need Help!