Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle Body

Anyone happen to know if the throttle body for the CHEVROLET C1500 1996 to 1999 Liter: 5.7, 5.0 is the same for our 4.3? I am looking to do a TBS mod and was wondering if a Throttle Body Spacer from a 5.7 would fit. from pictures the look the same.

5.7: Torque-Curve MPFI Spacers

4.3: Torque-Curve MPFI Spacers

Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Throttle body spacers

Port injection

The TB spacer is meant to keep the throttle body cooler, by separating it from the manifold using a phenolic material instead of metal. The misconception is that by adding space behind the TB, you are going to get more torque.

The lowered temperature is fine, and is worthwhile (see TB coolant bypass), but the cost of a spacer and the remaining intake manifold temperature doesn't do a whole lot on its own. The performance myth with this device is that it allows more air in, or that it lengthens the runners, or anything else along these lines.

The torque curve is dependent on a lot of things, but for the TB related part, its actually not even related. The plenum, while connected to the runners, aren't part of the runner equation. You would have to lengthen the runners themselves to do anything. Actually, even this doesn't seem to work from testing on a 3100 with 1" spacers between the lower and upper intake. You would likely have to change the volume of the runners much more than just extending them will do.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with the plenum. The plenum volume is important to performance and the RPM range of the powerband, but the TB spacer isn't going to have any effect on this because its volume is minimal.

The only real value to a Throttle Body spacer is for a NOS setup. You can drill a hold in the spacer for a NOS injector. It is easier to work with a separate piece for the nitrous injector, and it is easier to return the car to normal later.

TBI, Carb

Unlike the port injected manifolds, a spacer that goes under the carb or throttle body will help out for performance only if the intake manifold doesn't have the space designed in it. The extra space will help the air fuel mixture atomize, which will burn more efficiently. The myth part is for the port injected motors only.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick lesson but I actually am not wanting it for performance. I just installed a 2 inch Body lift which caused my CAI to not fit properly. I need to raise my CAI a bit to keep it from binding and hitting my heat shield.

I can pick up a TB Spacer for a 5.7 $25 which is about half the price one for my 4.3
I was just wondering if I would be able to make it work. As I stated they looked very similar.