Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The 3 vacuum lines are in a single connector that is keyed so you can't mess it up, (only goes on one way).

See where the other end of the line goes and let me know.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Beginning Member
jkfrost77 is on a distinguished road

well i installed the new one and when i cut the truck on there was a high pitched tone (almost a whistle) coming from right where i installed the new one. but the truck is still acting the same as before. not quite fixed yet.

the little ball on the old switch wouldnt move but i could push the little ball on the new one so maybe it did need to be replaced

also one of the hoses the went to the switch were cut a little so i fixed that. so with all that was wrong with it i think the switch was bad, so maybe i installed it wrong or something. i dont think it supposed to make that high pitched tone.

thanks for all your help. ill look at it tomorrow to see if i connected it wrong

Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

captain, i was reading through your post again and i think i know what i did wrong.

i didnt clean the lines out. (stupid me) whats the procedure on doing that? ill look around on the internet to see if i can find the answer. and should i let the access fluid out of the t-case to?

also, that lone hose, i couldnt find where it was coming from because it got dark on me.

captain, thanks for all your help, you have no idea. single parent. wife walked out on me and my little daughter. its been her and i against the world. thanks.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The ball is spring loaded in the "out" position, and should push in very easily. When the shift fork inside the transfer case moves, it pushes the ball in and connects engine vacuum to the axle actuator. If you couldn't move the ball in the old switch, it needed replacement.

The "whistle" noise could be a vacuum leak from one of the vacuum lines at the switch. Start the engine, crawl under there and take a listen. Might be the 3 way connector didn't get on the switch all the way.

Cleaning out the lines can a BIG deal, and it has to be done... if you want 4WD and HVAC to work. Each line needs to be disconnected at both ends, squirt some brake parts cleaner in the line and blow it out. Pull the line off the axle actuator and check the line and the actuator for trans fluid. Under the hood, near the brake master cylinder, there are some vacuum lines that Tee together.... pull 'em apart and check for trans fluid. One of those lines enters the dash, about in the middle, that one is for HVAC controls and actuators under the dash. Yup, those lines all need to be checked for fluid also.

As for transfer case and transmission fluid levels: yes, they both need to be correct. Adding transmission fluid is easy.... Draining transfer case fluid can be a real mess, especially if you're not draining all of it. You're almost better off to drain the entire case, then fill to proper level. Transmission and transfer case both use the same fluid, DexronIII but, it has been superceeded several times recently, not sure but I think now it's DexronV, parts guy should know. Sorry to hear about your situation, it's tough, I know. We'll try to save you some grief and money. Got a question.... just ask.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Beginning Member

well, i blew all the lines (took awhile) and only a little atf came out of one of the hoses. the atf level is good. the t-case level is good. but the transmission still wants to slip.

it slips but if i cut the truck off and immediately cut the truck back on then the transmission will work again until i slow down or come to a stop then it slips again, so when im driving i have to pull over and cut it off and cut it right back on again. it does not jam 'hard' into gear. the rpms just raise but its never a hard shift.

im willing to try a few more things. ill be looking all over the internet for the next thing to try but if it comes down to going in a transmission shop im afraid ill just to have to park it. thanks for all your help captain

Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Dont give up. You've established that it's likely an electrical problem

I would first establish that the pink wire {common 12v} always has 12 -14 v nominal on it. If it does when this happens, next thing I'd do is change the pressure control sol.

This is assuming there's no indication that the PCM itself has some power problems.

Attached Thumbnails throttle position sensor-shift_sols_r.jpg  

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-04-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member

just had a friend get a code off of the truck. p1870. dont know what that means.

he said it doesnt necessarily mean the transmission itself is bad but that somethings not letting or telling it to shift correctly, or it could be that the transmission is bad.

he said that ultimately the code tells him that there has been a component slippage but that it could be anything from a sensor to the transmission itself.

pettyfog, im like a 5 year old when it comes to cars. i dont get what you mean on the pink wire thing but im willing to change the solenoid anyway. thanks