Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

top speed govenor

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
xtrmblzr03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default top speed govenor

hey everyone..its my first post i drive a 2003 blazer xtreme.. i was just wandering how to get rid of the top speed govenor.. or over ride it..comments will be helpful .. thank you

Old 06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Lee
Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: top speed govenor

I think it's limited by the computer, I'm not too sure though. I wanted to do it too, but then decided my current tickets are bad enough.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
blazermanxx is an unknown quantity at this point

just a question sorta related to both above...what is your top speed right now. I travel to and from iowa city and chicago and in the middle of corn fiels i have my cruise control set on 100 and mine tops out at about 101-102 at 3000 rpm.

thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 05:31 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Look at the speed rating of your factory tires... It'll be close to that, lol.

But that's about the top speed of the average GM/Chevy truck/SUV

Old 07-21-2007, 09:32 AM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

You can remove it with a Hypertech programmer, but you will have to run premium, and you will pick up about 20 more horsepower. But as already mentioned, you should check the speed rating of your tires. My friend's 96 4 door had a top speed about about 130mph (give or take) with the factory limiter removed. However, these trucks are a handful at high speeds, and will bite anyone in the *** who underestimates their chances of losing control of them.

The factory limiter should be in the area of 98-105mph depending on tire size, gears etc..

Old 07-21-2007, 02:48 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The Hypertech does not remove the governor, you can change it, but not remove it... at least not on the programmer for the 2005 year of Blazer, you can raise it to 128 MPH

Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Dr Perry is correct, but for all intensive purposes, the governor is removed. Any higher than that would be suicide for your engine and tranny, perhaps you as well. Hypertech has a threshold for a reason

The vehicle driveline (specifically the drive shaft) has physical limitations as to how much centrifugal force it can withstand.When shafts break, they usually take a lot of things with it.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran

I think I changed mine to 110MPH... if I changed it at all...

I know I limited the RPM to 5200, lol

Old 07-21-2007, 06:49 PM

I don't know too much about what the driveshafts in Blazers can take since I really have no desire to take them above highway speeds (for reasons obvious to anybody who has ever owned one). But I do recall the Hypertech programmer had a couple ones you could choose, the highest being somewhere around 130 ish.. As you pointed out, 128... I really don't see why anyone would want to go that fast in one of these. If you want to go fast, buy a car that is designed to be driven fast, not a truck that handles like a brick. My old 89 saw 110mph or so once or twice, its not an experience I'm in a hurry to repeat. If I want to stomp a rice rocket, I'll use my Mercury with sport IRS suspension.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My top speed is 96-97 at 2,800 RPM. I agree that it's not the safest feeling in the world to go that fast in a Blazer. However on my trip from Dallas to LA I used one entire tank of gas at a solid 95-97 MPH and it got me 18 MPG instead of my 28-29 MPG at 55 MPH. But hey that's something Arizona's good for.

Don't plan on putting that much strain on my vecicle again though.

Quick Reply: top speed govenor