Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

torque converter removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default torque converter removal

Is there an easy way to keep the fly wheel from turning while trying to get the converter off?

2.8L with 700R4 tranny. The tranny is already removed.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure is. I typically use a large pry bar positioned against the engine block or transmission case somewhere with the end into the teeth on the flywheel. They make a special flywheel wrench that slips over the teeth in two locations to allow you to stop it from rotating or to rotate it to get to another bolt.

I really hope you were careful removing the transmission. You can do some pretty good damage to the fragile pump while removing the trans without first unbolting the torque converter.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 PM

where is this pump located? If its in the converter, I have a new one to put on that came with my tranny rebuild from AAMCO

Old 05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The pump is what the torque converter slides into on the front of the transmission. Hopefully they inspected it when they rebuilt the transmission.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM

id have to call to double check, but Im pretty sure AAMCO gutted the entire tranny and replaced everything. For $1500 the better have! Even if they didnt, Im confident the pump is just the same now as before I pulled the tranny. I had it on a tranny jack and slid it straight back to clear the converter and bell housing before lowering it.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

You should be good then. Take it as a word of caution though!

Slide the torque converter fully into the front of the transmission when you get it back together. You may have to rotate it while pushing in to get it to engage fully. Do not try to put everything back together the way you took it apart.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 PM

thats the same thing AAMCO told me. They showed me how to put the converter on properly. They have been a great bunch of guys so far, even after I paid which suprises me. they told me to bring in my transfer case (after I already paid for the tranny) and they would replace all the seals and parts clean it for me.