Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default Tranny rebuild

im getting a new band put in my tranny sometime soon. What else should i do while i have it out. Since i work at a chevy dealership i can get really cheap labor and parts so i figure i might as well do a few more things.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:04 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tranny rebuild

Upgrades, yes
Beast sunshell.
pinless accumulators
kevlar clutch packs (High energy)
kevlar 2/4 band
4/3 pump mod.
tv spring mod
and which ever shift kit you want.
Then have the puter peramiters changed for firmer shifts. The firmer the shift the longer the tranny will live. Install a tranny cooler and temp gauge if you tow or 4wheel a lot.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 PM

can you give me an estimated cost of all this. also what is the benefit of a temp gauge

Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to install aSonnax 2ndand 4th gear Super Hold Servo Assembly withdual seals on the 2nd gear piston that ensure more positive band application/release and eliminate cross-leaks. The Super hold servo assemblywill be placed in my 1991 TH700R4 (4L60) transmission.Teh same servo assemblyfits both the 4L60 and 4L60E transmissions butI do not know if a1999 transmission is one of those.The GM Corvette servo is part number 8642079 and costs $70.00 list price and $42.00 with a 40% dealer discount.The Corvetteservowill provide more positive 1-2 and 2-3 shifts butaccording to the manufacturer, theSonnaxservo assembly has18% more apply area than aGM Corvette servo assembly. I have already installed a Summit high capacitypan and extended pick up tube for the filter and the Sonnax servo assembly is next. Inanattempt to reduce transmission fluid heat, I install theSummit cast aluminum pan which hasan extra 3 quart capacity. It will at least take the fluid longer to get hot.

That is about all I can do to the transmission without removing it from the vehicle.Otherwise I would purchase a TH700R4(4L60)transmission form Phoenix ( www.phoenixtrans.com) $1700 and be done with it.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Upgrades, yes
Beast sunshell.
pinless accumulators
kevlar clutch packs (High energy)
kevlar 2/4 band
4/3 pump mod.
tv spring mod
and which ever shift kit you want.
Then have the puter peramiters changed for firmer shifts. The firmer the shift the longer the tranny will live. Install a tranny cooler and temp gauge if you tow or 4wheel a lot.
were can i get all these

Old 09-17-2008, 04:07 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get them from any tranny supply shop, and maybe even a local tranny shop.

I forgot to include paper and seals kit, should be part of the High Energy Rebuild kit.
Check with your local Autozone for the parts as well, or Summit racing.

To get you an idea of parts cost go here.
http://www.700raptor.com/

Read the whole page and you will get some glue about the upgrades. They are almost endless and everybody and thier brother sells them. The 700R4/4L60/4L60E tranny has been in production since the early 1980's. It has gone through some changes over the years and each year. Where ever you buy parts they will wnat to know if it a 4x4, year, and model of your vehicle. Upgrades are alomst endless.

Check with your local Chevy dealer too, GM carries some damn good parts, and you will pay for them. I paid roughly $400 for parts alone. That does not include the cost of fluid, or chemicals.

Couple of other things I forgot to add.
Get a new torque converter.

My $400 included Raybestos Z Pack. it wasn't cheap.

Heat is the #1 reason a tranny fails. Keeping your tranny cool will help it live longer. Knowing your tranny temp will help you to adjust your driving habits to keep the tranny cool.