Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny REBUILD or REPLACE??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 PM
jack72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny REBUILD or REPLACE??

1999 S10 Blazer lost reverse last winter. Will move in foward but only makes a whinning sound when in reverse. Don't want to sell it, not sure if I should purchase a rebuild kit or an entire new transmission?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tranny REBUILD or REPLACE??

Have you ever rebuilt an auto transmission? Do you know anyone that has done so successfully and that is willing to help?

Auto trannies are not for the faint of heart when it comes to rebuilding them.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 AM

This would be my first attempt. I don't have anyone close enought that they could actually be in the garage with me, however, I do have a someone i could contact if i get into trouble.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the volume of components (many of which that look alike, but are quite different), this is a very difficult thing to do, let alone have someone help you either over the phone or after the fact.

If you do attempt this, make sure that you have PLENTY of room for disassembly ahead of time. You want to be able to lay the sections out in a line starting with the pump all the way to the tail shaft.

Do yourself a favor and get the ATSG Rebuild Manual at the very least. Maybe one of the many instructional videos that are available would help as well.

As I said, these get pretty involved and many of the parts look alike, but do not perform the same function. There are also quite a few special tools, while they might not be required, that do make the job easier.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM

Thank you. I think i'll look into purchasing a rebuilt tranny instead of rebuilding it myself.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Thank you.

I think the actual rebuilding piece is a bit more than i want to get into. I'll look at purchasing one that has already been rebuilt.
Thanks again

Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If you plan on keeping the vehical for while look into a GM Goodwrench Remanufactored transmission. I believe it comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warrenty and it does not matter who installs it. Any GM dealer will service the warrenty if needed. In fact I bought mine at a local chevy dealer and had a local transhop do the remove and the install. The parts dept. even delivered the transmission and picked up the core at no cost to me. The trans. shop was a lot cheaper for the removal and installation. I had the same shop rebuild my trans. the first time and when it neededoverhaul or replacementthe second time I went with the GM Goodwrench. GM goes through the whole transmission and any part out of spec is replaced as well as the normal wear and tear items. Plus if there has been any changes made to the transmission the changes are incorporated as well. You could look ata local transhop to rebuild your transmission. Most trans shops do not rebuild they swap out and provide an extensive warrenty at a high cost. There is only one shop around me that actually does rebuilds. They have been around a long time. They able to charge less and make more profit because they are not part of a big chain with long warrenties.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
pbishop is an unknown quantity at this point

Very, very smart move. I dont doubt your abilities and im sure you could do it with some help,but you really just saved yourself alot of swearing and headaches.