Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Is the Tranny shot or not what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 AM
janddcunningham is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is the Tranny shot or not what do you think???

I have a 97 s10 LT blazer. Never have had any problems with the Transmission. however the Service engine light came on and I took to the local mechanic who said it needs a new ingnition moduler and the tranni maybe shot as well???? On 4/3/11 I was at walmart and shifted it to back out of parking spot and then put it in drive with a strange jerk and funny noise it went to drive and we drove it home fine. that next Sat I drove to the my little girls dance lesson and it was fine later that afternoon we ran into town to get a few things and it all of sudden had no power a friend said it went into survival mode to get me home running in 3rd gear the whole way not shifting down or up. I get home and the key will not come out so i messed with it and finally was able to get the key out. Monday I get in to take to repair shop and the thing drove like new never missed a shifting poing at all did awesome!!! so the mechanic pulls the dipstick on Tranni and said it smelled kind of burnt and then said he was not 100% but the tranni could be shot in it and I would need a new one. Ok so he said we will drop the pan on it and take a look and see if there any shavings in it and if there are not then it is ok most likly..... So I guess I am wondering what are the odds of the shavings in the pan??? I spoke to a friend who said that I maybe just fine because the ingnition Moduler could have caused it all because it does not send proper voltage to the tranni the engine is great and tight has 145000 miles on it and I jsut finished replacing water pump, alternator, brand new radiator, Brand new Breaklines and brakes, rotors, what are your thougts please

Last edited by janddcunningham; 04-13-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Only one way to find out my friend, gotta pull that trans pan off.
Those 4L60E tranany's are really fickle, one day there fine and shifting great, next day there toast.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Default thank you for repling to me

Thank you my friend for letting me know what you think so basically if I have red oil in the pan I am good right with little shavings will it be kind of dark since it has not been changed prob for like 100k miles or so or is tranni fluid always the same unlike motor oil?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:28 AM

Should be kinda reddish brown and prolly should have minimal shavings.
With that milage I would change the fluid and filter anyways, Look at it this way, if it is on it's way out, it can't hurt anything by changing it now.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM

let me throw this in when we pulled the dipstick it was red and wiped off like it was new oil and it was full is this any indicaition of goodnews in my favor i know I am praying for a miracle here right but I have read so many strange things on this forum thank you agian so very much

Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 AM

That does sound good, but I would change it anyway.
It'll run you about $50 if you do it yourself, maybe $150 at a shop, but compared to $1800- 2000. for a trans rebuild, it's cheap insurance.

Is your SES light on?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Yes the SES light was on and they ran codes on it all codes but one pointed to Transmission the other code was an Oxeygen heating sensor.... Anyway we pulled off the Trani Pan it was YES CLEAN!!!! So I am singing right now for sure. So very happy that this transmission is not shot WHOOHOO thank you so very much for all your imput you have been such a blessing.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 PM

What codes did they pull up?
Post em up and we might be able to help you get down to the root of the problem.

As far as the oxygen heating sensor, they have a heater built inside of them to get the sensor up to about 500 degrees if I remeber correctly when the engine is cold , a new sensor will solve that problem.

Glad to hear the tranny was nice and clean, but at least now you have that peace of mind knowing it's good.