Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny is slowly dying, dont know what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Boopappa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tranny is slowly dying, dont know what to do.

Just got the blazer back out of the shop today and they want to rebuild the tranny ($1400-2200 depending on what all needs to be done). I called the GM dealer and they said that a new tranny would cost $1900.00. I told the Aamco this and he said that they are all reman transmission and not brand "NEW" ones, so i have to wait until monday before I can call them abck and find out exactly. I found a website called Millenium Transmission that I can buy a rebuilt for around 1300-1500. Or, I guess I could try a junk yard tranny and hope for the best....

I can not make up my mind on what woul be best, so I was wanting to see what everyone else thought?

Just to let everyone know, I have an 02 4x4 Blazer, the tranny has the stall shifting between 1st and 2nd and also when driving up large hills it starts jerking and the RPM's jump up and down. The tranny shop said that the fluid is starting to turn colors from getting to hot. Any thoughts/suggestions would really help out.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Blazer Steve is on a distinguished road

Hey guy.
Go to this web site http://700r4l60e.com/
Dana is a pro tranny builder.
He has lots of answers. I built three transmission with his help and no problems.
Sure beats the fly by night Aamco trany shop. Those boys are the biggest rip offs around. I would rather put in a wrecking yard tranny than Aamco transmission.
And yes GM does sell new transmissions.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
1993gmcjimmyW is on a distinguished road
Default hello

i have worked in the torque converter business for years, your back is against the wall, rebuilding a tranny is rediculously hard, hundreds of pieces, you will pay anywhere from 1300 to 2000 normally,make sure you go to a reputable shop because most people will charge you the same price and only repair what is broken, gm does not sell brand new tranmissions they are rebuilt they are new parts and new bearings in a used case, they do not still produce parts for cars over 7 years old

Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

A GM tranny comes with a hell of a warrenty, however it is still build to original spec, including some weaknesses.

A rebuild tranny by a reputable shop will be built with aftermarket products designed to upgrade the factory weaknesses. For example the Raction Sun shell is a known weak point. GM will install the know weak unit, while a reputable tranny shop that stands behind its product will install a hardened (Beast sunshell) unit.

GM uses regular clutch packs, while a decent tranny shop will use kevlar based clutch packs, and the list goes on. Pinless accumulators to repalce the factory pinned accumulators, problem with teh pinned version is they wear leading to early tranny failure.

Figure about $350-$500 in tranny parts, and about the same in labor to have it rebuilt if you take the tranny out and reinstall it. If your dropping the truck off and they are doing the R&R your going to pay about 8hrs additional labor.

Salvage yard tranny is a viable option if your low on cash, or not planning on keeping the truck for more than a couple more years. Most salvage yards offer a warrenty, find out what it is and what it covers. Some only cover replacement, you pull it, bring it back and they give you another to put in or in-store credit. Some will pay a shop to cover the cost of parts and labor. ASK!!!

Post up, there are some things you must do if your going to remove and replace the tranny. If the shop is doing all the work. Drink a cold one.