Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans fluid mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans fluid mystery

Hey all, I've got a problem that I hope you can help me with. Lately I've noticed a strange sound w/ the Blazer. I can only describe it as a high pitched but quiet whining sound that's completely in sync w/ the transmissions gear shifting. I've never heard this before, so I checked the tranny fluid, and it was almost empty! Only a small drop at the very tip of the dipstick. I went ahead and added some to the right level and didn't notice the sound again. That is, until the next day. Same thing with the noise and tranny fluid level. I see no fluid under the truck, and nothing looks out of the ordinary in the engine compartment. The truck is running great. So, anyone got any ideas here? Am I missing something, or not looking in the right place? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trans fluid mystery

Pop off the fill plug at the back of the transfer case. Typically, this is caused by a leaking rear seal on the transmission, between the transmission and the transfer case. If this is the cause, then the transfer case is probably full of transmission fluid. Bad part is it requires the removal of the transfer case to replace. Good part is that if you can do the work yourself (with the help of a friend - the t-case isn't exactly lite), the seal is cheap!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kyle--Luckily a buddy of mine has some good experience with trnsmissions-and has a good sized shop at home. I'll print out your recommendation for him and let you know what happens. BTW--any idea about that whining sound w/ the transmission when it's changing gears? Thanks again!
Steve

Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The whining sound could be caused by metal to metal contact where a fluid layer would typically be. It is possible that it may go away once you get the fluid level stabilized. But then again... Noises of this type are very difficult to nail down to one thing especially when you are talking about the transmission...

Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually when an automatic transmission whines that is an indication that the front pump is on it's way out ...

Zed

Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

and the failed seal will be in the front of the t-case. there is no rear seal in the tranny when its mounted to the t-case. the tranny rear seal is in the tailhousing, since its mounted to t t-case there is no tailhousing.

tcase weighs about 100 pounds empty.