Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine blew...what are my options!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM
revisednut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine blew...what are my options!?

Car just died last nite on the expressway...finally got it to crank back over and I have a really bad knock...thinking I spun a bearing. I've been calling around looking for an engine (harder than you'd imagine to find!)...what exactly are my options/years I can get an engine out of? The VIN is 1GNDT13W5X2101314 ...im sure that identifies exactly what engine I need...just looking for some help!! Thanks,
Brad

Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Engine blew...what are my options!?

I was re-reading your first post about your troubles:
ORIGINAL: revisednut

I just bought a 99 blazer 4 door with 90,000 miles. I was driving about 30 miles today when the check engine light was on (normal occurance, was usually just tramission 1-2 rough). I made it about 20 miles and it just started dieing...i was in 5th...then wouldnt speed up to 4th...then 3rd...started pulling over to an exit on the express way and it just died. I tried to turn it back over and nothing...it won't turn over. It didnt look like it had overheated (intake manifold gasket about 1k miles ago) temp gauge looked fine, oil pressure looked fine...it just died. Any ideas what it could be? There was still oil (it was HOT!..but there was oil!) Need help ASAP please!!
I'm sorry to hear aboutyou latestcondition!If you've got a knocking in the lower engine, then I agree that you probably are looking at a lower engine rebuild, new short block, or new motor (your choice). From your original post I have a few questions:
You said there "was still oil" and it was hot. What does that mean, that there was very little oil showing on the dipstick, or was it at the proper level? Why did you have the intake gasket replaced? If you were leaking coolant into your oil, how long did you drive the engine with that condition? I'm asking because if there was coolant in the oil and you left it like that for an extended period of time, that probably lead to a spun bearing, as you fear. If the oil level was low in the crankcase, then you probably scored the crank due to lack of lubrication. I know it's too late to help with this engine's problems, but I'm curious about what may have caused the damage.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
revisednut is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response! To address some of your questions:
-I do not know how much oil was in the crank case (looked to be a sufficient level-it didn't appear the failure was due to lack of lubrication)
-I had the intake gasket replaced a week after I purchased the car, as I noticed the temp guage was getting quite hot while sitting at idle, mechanic said I was losing coolant from the gasket
-I'm not sure how long the coolant was seeping out of the gasket for
-I had an oil change done about 500 miles ago, with the gasket change and it didn't appear there was coolant in the oil
-Do you have any sources for a rebuilt engine? I'm looking at about 1800 for a rebuilt with a 3 yr/36k warranty

Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'll get that kind of warranty at that price, more like 1 yr/12,000 miles. I don't have a list of sources offhand, but other members will probably chime in with some help.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any engine out of a '96-'01 will work for your application. You should be able to find a good low mileage engine for well under a grand... eBay has a few right now.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

revisednut,
where are you located? City state is close enough.
junk yards around here are full of 4.3L. Last time I was looking I found numerous donors. You can also get one from a fullsize pickup truck as well, and an Astro van. A 4.3 is a 4.3. Like Kyle (Swart) posted, those are the years your looking for. The 4.3L is a pretty common engine. GM stuck in a lot fo vehicles and there a millions of them out there. Keep calling them salvage yards.

Not sure what prices your getting quoted in your neck of the woods, however around here (Central Illinois) I was getting qouted prices around $350-$500 last summer.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

just did a full motor rebuild on mine, 150,000 miles the motor blew, i had it rebuilt and installed for $2,700. runs like a dream. good luck on your quest for a decent motor. try to get one with lower miles, or rebuild yours.