Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Crinos96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans help!

Hi all. Well I have been looking on this site for a while and it's time for me to start posting. First off I have an 85 GMC Jimmy 2.8 4X4 that just doesn't want to live any more but I won't let it die. I done a lot to get it running to the point it's at now and I just don't want to let it go. My new problem is while going to work the other morning my transmission hose that goes to the cooler came off and all my fluid came out. I didn't notice till about a mile ortwo down the road and it wouldn't upshift. Later I got the line back on as best I could and put some fluid in it to get it home. Now I replaced all the rubber lines on the cooler (4 places) and put new clamps on filled it back up and took it for a test drive and it was shifting oddly. It would shift but not at the right points a lot of the time, it would want to rev up really high and I would have to feather the petal to get it to shift. After a lap around the block I check it and now it's leaking again. I put 2 clamps on each line and have them so tight they are about to bust and it just keeps leaking now more than ever. On my last 2 tests now it won't even shift out of 1'st. The fluid never smelled burnt but it really won't shift. I'm not sure where to go from here but I really don't want to have to swap the tranny. I have done a lot and am learing a lot with mybusted jimmyhere but I think that may be a bit beyond me. Any help would be great!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trans help!

How much fluid did you put back in? Did you check the level on the dip stick with the engine running, transmission in park, and the truck on a flat, level surface? If not, try that now.

As far as the leaks go, you may want to look into replacing the lines with the appropriate hard lines.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 PM

I believe i put in 5 pints? (can't remember what it goes buy). Yes I looked on here and I put some in, let it warm up to normal temp and put some more in and and then ran it from low back to park and back again a few times and slowy put more in till it was reading full while running. And I do believe my drive way is as level as it needs to be. I was looking around the net and was seeing something about how if the 4l60 runs out of fluid the valve (or what ever it is in there) that the TV cable controls and become stuck so I tried running it through by hand to unstick it but that didn't help either. I came across something else that could get stuck from lack of fluid that would prevent upshift but I can't find it now. I don'tthink that I killed it because on my first test after total loss it was shifting, then after parked it would not shift at all. That is unless that was the last shift he had in him.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 PM

Ok so thats it? Jimmy needs a new trans?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How did you come to that conclusion?

Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
G_78_91_k5blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to fix the leaks and put the appropriate amount of fluid back in the trans. 5 pints is not enough fluid if you had that bad of a leak. Check it idiling in park warm.