Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans just 'went out' all of sudden, no fwd or rev gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans just 'went out' all of sudden, no fwd or rev gears

I am thinking that this is the front pump going out, as it was a rebuilt one, but let me know what you think? The night before it went out, on the 7 mi drive home, it started surging slightly on the highway, made it home ok. Then the next day, halfway through my neighborhood, the rpms just went up after taking off from the first stop sign, then no power. Pulled over, stopped, tried putting it in 1, nothing, tried reverse, nothing. It was if it is in neutral, no response at all in engine or rpms when shifting between all gears. Is this a sign that the front pump went out, or could something else had happened? Trans fluid level is fine, still bright red. Was a used trans with a rebuilt pump that has been in the car for about 6 months.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kgkern01
I am thinking that this is the front pump going out, as it was a rebuilt one, but let me know what you think? The night before it went out, on the 7 mi drive home, it started surging slightly on the highway, made it home ok. Then the next day, halfway through my neighborhood, the rpms just went up after taking off from the first stop sign, then no power. Pulled over, stopped, tried putting it in 1, nothing, tried reverse, nothing. It was if it is in neutral, no response at all in engine or rpms when shifting between all gears. Is this a sign that the front pump went out, or could something else had happened? Trans fluid level is fine, still bright red. Was a used trans with a rebuilt pump that has been in the car for about 6 months.
As a non-expert on trans, certainly seems like either something got loose in the valve body till it found a channel to plug or the front pump was assembled wrong.
Thinking a pressure test should tell the story.
Hope you know an honest transmission shop. Ought to be {relatively}an easy fix... but again, I'm no authority.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would pulling a coolant line then starting the engine test the trans pump? I assume if the pump is gone, that coolant will not spray out as it should if working, correct?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

No.. that wouldnt prove much. Just same as this

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.
https://www.google.com/search?q=test+pressure+on+4l60e

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.