Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transfercase/tranny issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:13 PM
jman_08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfercase/tranny issue.

So my friends 03 blazer is having a couple issues first sometimes the tranny shifts a bit hard but recently he has been experiancing this. When shifted from park to drive there is a terrible delay you go into drive wait for a second step on the gas then it clunks into gear hard.

issue 2 when the truck is engaged into 4x4 it has a terrible time getting out there is sometimes still binding when shifted back into 2Hi other times no binding but u can see some power still being routed to the front. also sometimes when u click the 4Hi button the light blinks and several clicks are heard but it doesnt engage into 4Hi other times it does fine

Help please.

Thanks gueys.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Transfercase/tranny issue.

Not really sure what your tranny issues indicate...ill let someone else cover that..

As for the 4wd...you have to go in reverse for something like 1/2 or 1/4 turn of the axle to fully disengage the front axle. That stops the binding after switching back to 2wd. As for the switch...try putting the truck in neutral when switching...I've noticed mine will hang up once in a while if I'm slowly moving in D (even though it should be able to go 4Hi at any speed).

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Yeah thats weird i dont get why u could have to go in reverse the autotrac t-cases arent like that. Now for that tranny issue?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM

Anyone have any idea?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does this truck have the auto4wd feature?

About the transmission. Doesn't sound good. I assume you have already verified that the fluid level is within spec... If so, then have you thought about changing the filter? If that helps, then I would bet that the transmission is not long for this world. The only thing to clog a transmission filter is the transmission components...

Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM

It doesnt have the auto4wd feature. The delay in the transmission has progressivly gotten worse it seems as if the tranmission is getting confused for example if you step on the gas let off then get back on there is that hard clunk/shift.

Im not sure if it needs a new tranny or not.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

is the tranny full of fluid? drive it for 20 minutes, park on a flat level surface, leave the engine running and check the fluid level. It takes 1 pint to go from the bottom of the cross hatch area to the top. add 1/4 quart at a time until it is full.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM

Tranmission fluid is fine but idk whats wrong with it other than that.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
mitchell07 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 1997 blazer is in for service on I think is a similar situation...im waiting on the bad news so any advice here would help too.
When I go from 4 hi to 2 low..I have the buttons on my dash btw..it 'clunks hard as though my axle just fell off. everything works fine but that noise is nerving and makes me wonder if my axle will fall off...
help!! before I have to take another mortage out to pay

Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You mean when you go from 2HI to 4LO. There is no 2LO.

Anyway, a clunk when dropping into low range is rather normal. The gears do not line up perfectly every time and if you are making the transition between ranges while in gear or on a slope, it can be somewhat unnerving.

Quick Reply: Transfercase/tranny issue.