Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transgo Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Transgo Shift kit

Hey all, got a 95 GMC Jimmy 4x4. I heard a lot of good things about the Transgo SK-4L60e shift kit so I figured I'd give it a go. Well I got it and took my sweet time installing it, double and triple checked everything and cleaned everything nice and put in some fresh fluid. Go for a test drive and it wont shift out of first gear. Cool, what did I do wrong? Ideas?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Bought a shift kit. A corvette servo would have done the same thing, half hour work. Best thing you can do is take it apart and try it again

Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I had one installed when my tranny was rebuilt, along with a Beast sunshell and a few other aftermarket parts. Truth be told I can't tell if the Transgo made any difference due to all the other stuff I had done.

But it does shift out of first no problem. (Sorry, that didn't help you in the least)

Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Yeah I was hoping someone had run into this problem or someone could tell me what areas to specifically mention where it could have gone wrong. The shift kit includes valve body and servo modification, not sure which are to focus on that would cause this.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 PM

It was more depressing than anything lol, spent all week after work working on it, taking my time to avoid messing up and then this happens haha just my luck.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you missed or lost one of the check ***** in the valve body. Good luck finding it now. These really need to be paid extreme attention too when removing the valve body. They can become dislodged and lost or worse yet wind up some place they really dont want to be. Take it back down and try to see if one is missing. you should be able to tell where they install.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM

I paid extreme attention to where the check ***** go and checked multiple times. I would not doubt that one has moved as to get the valve body back into place I had to finagle it a bit to fit and to line up the holes. I hope it could be that, I am going to go over the steps in the instructions again and make sure everything is done as should be.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I have read you can use a grease to hold the ***** in place but dont know what type it is Edit, just looked and b&m say no grease petroleum jelly only

Last edited by newguy; 05-21-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:35 AM

You don't say, not sure I'd try that but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Alright, finally got around it to, dropped the pan and valve body and all the check ***** were in the right place. Looked at the instructions again and checked everything in the valve body over. I then checked the shift servo (on the side of the transmission) and low and behold it was missing the inner most spring. So I put that back in there and put everything back together, and guess what? Still won't shift out of first!!! What could it be now???

Quick Reply: Transgo Shift kit