Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transgo SK-4L60E Shift Improver Kit Review

Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road
Smile Transgo SK-4L60E Shift Improver Kit Review

Got it installed yesterday Shift kit and a repair on the separator plate and my overall conclusion after a few runs is that I like it.

It is very different though. Shifts are loads quicker. The 1-2 shift is very firm and feels like it really holds the power into the post shift response.

It is also throttle sensitive as I can put part throttle and maybe feel it a little and anything over half throttle really punches it in there. Nothing excessive that would chirp tires but you do feel it.

All shifts after 1-2 are there and quick. My reverse to forward response is a tad bit better as well. Overdrive doesn't wait nearly as long or at least doesn't seem to and is very seamless. Downshifts are quick but torque management tends to get in the way a tad.

I was taken aback at how firm it was but I am getting used to it. I am now looking forward to getting the PCM tuned now that I can lower the torque management with the transmission protected a bit better in regards to the shifting. I really had no idea how sloppy it was until this upgrade.

If you had a kit installed please give me your impression as this is my first one and the feel of the firmer shifts are definitely more noticeable than I had predicted.

I will update this post as I get a better overall feel for the somewhat new behavior of the vehicle.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I plan on doing this to my Rainier sometime soon along with the corvette servo upgrade.

BTW, unlike my Rainier, the s-series trucks did not get any torque management. Or rather, torque management is maxed out in the PCM giving full power all of the time. My Rainier was seriously hampered by TM, but thanks to my PCM4Less tune, TM's influence is greatly reduced!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Starting Member

I'm surprised to hear that. Just about everyone on other S10 forums say they have it reduced about 80% and see a difference. I haven't read a thing indicating there being an absence of torque management. More regarding the change in power after it was removed with a custom tune.

My understanding is that it was incorporated around the mid 90's and used more and more up to the end of the product line. Same for the bigger 1500's with the same trans.

Let me know as I won't feel like a fool when I finally call Jesse or PCM4less here in the next month.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Everything that I have ever heard and read in technical specs states that it isn't there on the s-series trucks. I can understand the v8's using the same transmission. The torque out of the 4.3l is good for a v6, but is no where near a v8 or I6 engine at low rpm where TM does most of its work.

Ask them about it, but like I said, I have always heard that it was already pretty much out of the way.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Starting Member

I believe you. I was just a bit confused. All the reviews of the tunes for the s10 series trucks from pcm4less and wait4me always mention it. Shift points, timing, and torque management seem to be the hot-words where ever that topic comes up.

I'll be sure to ask about it when I call. I'll report back regarding the issue. I took the liberty of checking back on some of your posts regarding torque management. It would be great to see if there was a way to see if timing was being adjusted on the fly...

Your insight is always great to have and I'll keep you posted on the answer from the tuner guys.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DrEaMsTeVe
Got it installed yesterday Shift kit and a repair on the separator plate and my overall conclusion after a few runs is that I like it.

It is very different though. Shifts are loads quicker. The 1-2 shift is very firm and feels like it really holds the power into the post shift response.

It is also throttle sensitive as I can put part throttle and maybe feel it a little and anything over half throttle really punches it in there. Nothing excessive that would chirp tires but you do feel it.

All shifts after 1-2 are there and quick. My reverse to forward response is a tad bit better as well. Overdrive doesn't wait nearly as long or at least doesn't seem to and is very seamless. Downshifts are quick but torque management tends to get in the way a tad.

I was taken aback at how firm it was but I am getting used to it. I am now looking forward to getting the PCM tuned now that I can lower the torque management with the transmission protected a bit better in regards to the shifting. I really had no idea how sloppy it was until this upgrade.

If you had a kit installed please give me your impression as this is my first one and the feel of the firmer shifts are definitely more noticeable than I had predicted.

I will update this post as I get a better overall feel for the somewhat new behavior of the vehicle.
Hi just curious, would you have a copy of the instuctions of this SK-4L60E Transgo shift kit that i may see please? also did you have to go into the servo too? and what set up did you use in the 1-2 accumaltor? and what brand is your separtor plate? and what repair did you do on it? thanks much

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
bclhaezveyr is on a distinguished road

i had a 95 trans am with a 5.7L and it has the 4L60E. worked just fine with that engine. put in some racing clutch packs and shift kit adn should be more than enough to handle anything you could do with an S10 blazer