Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission coolers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission coolers

Few questions about aftermarket transmission coolers:

Are aftermarket transmission coolers really worth it or is it some gimmick that claims to work and makes the transmission hotter and hotter until it fails catastrophically?

Are they expensive to buy or install?

How difficult is it for someone to install it in a 98?

Where do they put it?

Do they really prolong the life of a transmission?

If I put one in now, would it make any difference if the truck already has almost 80,000 miles (128,747km) on it (Filter was changed and fluid was last flushed at around 72,000. It is still pink when it dries onto a paper towel aside from some black residue from the dipstick)?

Thanks.

BD

Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Check the B&M Transmission Super Cooler site.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Xtremechubs is an unknown quantity at this point

If you run it in combination with your factory trans cooler in the radiator it will run cooler thats been proven. If you drive your car hard and the trans fluid gets real hot it will cause your transmission to fail. Just think about how your radiator works with transfering heat from the anti-freeze to the air it is the same concept except that its transmission fluid. Average trans cooler runs somewhere around $50 at a local parts store and they are very easy to install. Normally you put the trans cooler out in front of the condencer but you can put it where ever you want but it decreases the efficency by 25% for each heat exchanger you put it behind so if you put it in the engine bay closest to the motor then you will reduce your efficency by 50%. Perfectly fine to install as long as you do it right and it will keep you from damaging your transmission under hard use.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres a decent how to from S-10 Crew Cab. It should be pretty much the same on the blazers.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modin...annycooler.htm

Old 09-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Xtremechubs
If you run it in combination with your factory trans cooler in the radiator it will run cooler thats been proven. If you drive your car hard and the trans fluid gets real hot it will cause your transmission to fail. Just think about how your radiator works with transfering heat from the anti-freeze to the air it is the same concept except that its transmission fluid. Average trans cooler runs somewhere around $50 at a local parts store and they are very easy to install. Normally you put the trans cooler out in front of the condencer but you can put it where ever you want but it decreases the efficency by 25% for each heat exchanger you put it behind so if you put it in the engine bay closest to the motor then you will reduce your efficency by 50%. Perfectly fine to install as long as you do it right and it will keep you from damaging your transmission under hard use.
Thanks alot for the info. Also, I am a geek. I don't drive it hard, burn outs or anything like that, but some of the conditions I drive in might be hard on the tranny, like steep hills near where I live, stop and go driving in the city near my college, and high speed (65mph) driving on the New York State Thruway for over 175 miles (one way, sometimes nonstop) every other weekend(sometimes with outside temps over 85F) and also the related kickdown (3500-4000 rpm to get up to 65) sometimes because the entrance I have to use has a blind corner and traffic comes flying at over 80 mph. Here in this area, 80 seems to be the new 65 for most people, but I keep it around 65 unless I have an emergency situation like to avoid an crash from a car that is on my trailer hitch, honking and flashing lights, just long enough to get into the next lane.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by danmiranda
Heres a decent how to from S-10 Crew Cab. It should be pretty much the same on the blazers.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modin...annycooler.htm
Thanks, i'll have to order one online then since some seem to be cheaper than AutoZone.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM
PHATSPEED7x is on a distinguished road

Heat is the #1 enemy of transmissions. Keeping things cool can really make a tranny last.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Would putting in a cooler now at 80,000 miles make a difference in the long run, or would it not make much difference with the miles? Also are all of them made the same quality or will cheaper ones wreck my transmission somehow? I was looking at something like this :http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/1014/10002/-1

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 09-24-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

I put a B&M Supercooler on my 99 Blazer w/96,000k on it. You could really feel the difference. Ran alot smoother. I would def go with the B&M due to the fact that it has a built in bypass, IT will bypass the cooler if the fluid is to cool, avoiding any damage.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
PHATSPEED7x is on a distinguished road

For every 10* cooler you double the life of the transmission fluid.
For every 20* cooler you double the life of the transmission.

Quick Reply: Transmission coolers