Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008 | 09:56 AM
kdanderson5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission fluid

OK. Now I have another problem with the blazer and I need your guys input on what they told me cuz I don't trust money grubbing repair shops. It is a 96 blazer, auto tranny, with just shy of 140k miles.

I took it in this morning to get the tranny fluid fushed and the filter replaced. I have owned the vehicle since about 100k miles. The previous owner said he had the fluid replaced a couple of times.

They took it out for a drive and agreed it shifts fine. Then they took a sample of fluid and told me they would not change it. They said the fluid has been burnt and there is small metal filings in the fluid from the clutch plate they think.

What they say is the fluid should not be changed or there is a good chance it will make the tranny go out faster with new fluid in it. They say since the fluid is burnt and there is filings in it, that is what is helping keeping the tranny shifting. If I change the fluid it will cause it to start slipping and lock up.

Does this sound righ to youguys? Makes sense kinda but seems weird. They said all I would be doing is HURTING it bygetting the fluid changed? Seems odd. But then of course they chime right in,for 2k we can put in a new tranny! ********.

Should I believe them or take it somewhere else and get a second opinion? They showed me the fluid and it is black and there is filings in it (already knew that much.Checked it the other day and noticed this on the dipstick, that is why I went to get it done) They said it is not if the tranny is going to go out, it is when is it going to go out.

Old 11-12-2008 | 10:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission fluid

I would say do a pan drop in your driveway (can be fun if the cross member is in the way of removing the pan). A full on flush (if they actually do it) may cause the transmission to die quickly. Basically, if the fluid is already burnt and there are metal particles in suspension, then the transmission is looking forward to a short life anyway. A full flush may just kick it over the edge as it disturbs buildup that could be aiding the seals/pistons/etc while they do their job. A pan drop and filter change will not disturb (as quickly) the buildup, but will revitalize the fluid.

Another option would be to remove the transmission cooler line and pump out some fluid, pouring back in whatever quantity is pumped out. This can be somewhat more messy, but easier than a pan drop. One thing to remember is that the only thing that will plug up a transmission filter is the transmission itself. If you have enough clutch material and other debris inside the filter to plug it, the transmission is on its last leg.

Old 11-12-2008 | 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a good shop to me. If they were money grubbing they would have just done the flush like you asked, and then waited for you to come back with the shot tranny.

Old 11-12-2008 | 08:41 PM
Beginning Member
CoolAirVw is an unknown quantity at this point

Then they took a sample of fluid and told me they would not change it. They said the fluid has been burnt and there is small metal filings in the fluid from the clutch plate they think.

What they say is the fluid should not be changed or there is a good chance it will make the tranny go out faster with new fluid in it. They say since the fluid is burnt and there is filings in it, that is what is helping keeping the tranny shifting. If I change the fluid it will cause it to start slipping and lock up.
HOGWASH! Wives tale! Gosh I get tired of hearing this!

Never once seen this happen, but "hear" it all the time.

If your fluid is dark, remove the pan, change the filter (most important), then flush it. (or pay someone to do this)

If your trans is failing its gonna fail anyway, if it just needs changed then you saved yourself a new trans.

Old 11-12-2008 | 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions
pffftttt you say that like you know what youre talking about

Old 11-13-2008 | 08:04 AM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard the say from mechanics not to change the fluid, but, I went ahead on a different vehichle ( 93 Riviera, 90k on the clock ) I changed the filter/fluid about 6 qts, because your not draining the torque converter, drove that car about 3 years w/o any problems, and it did have more positive shift points. I guess to each there own, but I'd do it again. I just did my 2000 Blazer 100k, shifts great.

Old 11-13-2008 | 08:48 AM
kdanderson5 is an unknown quantity at this point

The shop I took it to is an Ammco Transmission shop. I am not really sure what to do with it. I think a changeof fluid and filter would help, but I can see what they are taking about. The fluid that is in it is pretty bad from what they showed me. Itis black and there is grit in it (shows the same on the dipstick).

I just am not sure what todo. He said they tranny is going to go for sure, it is just when it is going to go.I hionestly didn't really seemetal filings in it i just seen little chunks of poo and grit in it.No big chunks just kinda fine grit lookin stuff.

I don't want to change out the tranny if it is going to make it go out faster, but I don't want to NOT change it and have it go because I didn't do it ya know?

I think I may just try and drain like a quart, refill, wait a little while, drain another quart, etc... and just try to slowly work in new fluid. Then after a little bit change the filter also and see what happens? This sound like a good idea or is it the dumbest thing you guys have ever heard?

Thanks again for the advise!

Old 11-13-2008 | 09:20 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Mosttransmission shops will not change the fluid and filter on any vehicle with more than 75,000milesbecause they don't want to be held responsible if the transmission fails a week laterfor some other reason.The shopwould never convince an unhappy customer that it was not their fault that the transmission failed. Then the unhappy customer could cause the shopto lose thousands of dollars in new business. The bad PRthe auto repair shop receives is not worth the benefit thata fluid change would do.A automatic transmission repair shop manager told me a long time ago that if everyone changed the transmission fluid and filter as often as they changed the motor oil and filter, a transmission would last forever. I know that was an exaggeration but I got his point. Heat is the worst enemy of a transmission and that is why I installed alarger capacity finned aluminum transmission pan on my S10 Blazer the last time I changed the fluid and filter.

On a S10 Blazer, the transmission pan is a tight fit between the exhaust Y-pipe crossover and the rear transmission mount. The repair shopwould have to disconnect the crossmember from the frame and move it slightly to get the transmission pan off. The repair shops haveflat rates for changing the transmission fluid and an S10 Blazer will exceed the shop's flat rateprice schedule they may have quoted the customer.That is also the reason why you cannot find a shop that will bleed 1990-1995 S10 Blazer ABS 4WAL brakes!

Most auto repair shops (Wal-Mart especially) will not change your motor oil if there is any sign of a oil leak.If the engine blows up a few days after they changed the oil theydo not want to be blamed for it.A shop managerwill lookat customer and will size him upby the way he is dressed and thenmay cometo the conclusionthat anyone whodrives old S10 Blazer cannot afford to pay for what the job is worth.

All auto repair shops use the"CMAP. (Cover My *** Program.)

Unfortunately, there are some things on S10 Blazers that you must learn how to do yourself.

Old 11-13-2008 | 09:49 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

AAMCO transmission shops have a reputation and it isn't good. They've gotten in trouble for keeping a pan with nasty fluid that has metal filings in it to show customers to get them to buy a tranny from them. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw the shop.

Drop the pan, change the fluid and filter. Check it often afterwards. You might need to drop the pan & change the fluid again after a bit.

Old 11-13-2008 | 10:08 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

About 20 years ago, the City of Dallas Texas filedfraud charges against atransmission shop for doing the old metal shavings trick.The company that owned the transmissionshop that was involved merely paid a $10,000 fine and sent the crookedmanager of that shop over to Fort Worth Texas to manage anothershop. Apparently,the crooked shop manager was making the transmission repair companya lot of money.

That story came from a friend of mine who was a honest shop manager of another shop in the same company.

Who says crime does not pay?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid