Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member
C210M is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission fluid level

I seem to be having trouble checking the tranny fluid level. I have followed the procedure in the owner's manual, engine running, normal operating temp, flat level surface in park, cycled through all shifter positions. The level appeared to be low, added fluid, being careful to not overfill, rechecked the level, I was unable to determine the level, the fluid I addedwas visible on the dipstick but was not down at the bottom of the stick, if I wait until the next day after running the truck for at least 20 minutes and followingthe procedure I get an accurate reading, it seems that I had not added enough fluid,but after adding fluid I am unable to getan accurate reading, wentthrough this three times, seems like I have finally got the level to normal,anyone else have this problem or is this an indication of a problem to come.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission fluid level

Tranny fluid can sometimes be a little tricky to see on the dipstick. After following the correct procedure, be sure to wipe the stick clean before putting it back in to get the reading. Look on both sides of the stick, sometimes it reads more clearly on one side than the other.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission fluid level

As Rich has said, it can be tricky to see the level properly. Most of the time, if you check it right after pouring fluid in, you will catch some of the fluid that is stuck to the sides of the dipstick tube, throwing off the reading.

I like to take a piece of sand paper and rough up the surface opposite the hash marks so it holds some of the fluid in the grooves cut by the sand paper. This can help in determining where the fluid level is. Clean it off really good before putting it back down in.