Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

transmission flush help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have done it a few times, but as I said above, you have to add fluid back in through the dipstick tube. It won't suck back through the return line as that line just dumps back into the pan.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 PM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 AM
Beginning Member
6700 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by porkfriedrice
As anyone else tried the method for a transmission flush that 6700 describes in his first post? I haven't seen this method in any internet searches, but it seems to make sense. Are there any risks doing it this way? I haven't noticed any transmission problems, but I know that the fluid has not been changed since I've had the truck.
i have had 3 guys at work do the same type of flush since they dont trust auto shops and it worked good for them, im still driving my blazer and i did this flush back in febuary and still have nice color fluid when i check the tranny.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 6700
i have had 3 guys at work do the same type of flush since they dont trust auto shops and it worked good for them, im still driving my blazer and i did this flush back in febuary and still have nice color fluid when i check the tranny.
Nice. Once I can get the materials together, I'm going to do the flush on both of my cars. Question: Is there anything special that needs to go on the threads of the cooler lines before reinstalling in the radiator? I was looking at it yesterday, and it looks like there is some sort of tape on the threads, like plumber's tape, or it could be something else.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Beginning Member
6700 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by porkfriedrice
Nice. Once I can get the materials together, I'm going to do the flush on both of my cars. Question: Is there anything special that needs to go on the threads of the cooler lines before reinstalling in the radiator? I was looking at it yesterday, and it looks like there is some sort of tape on the threads, like plumber's tape, or it could be something else.
as the threds go i dont know i put a external cooler on when i did mine.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that the threads have some sort of threadlocker on them from the factory. they should be fine reinstalling them without any problems.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 6700
k i did the tranny fluid change and it came out so dark but then started running red around the end of the 2nd gallon and start of the 3rd gallon.
my 10 yr old helped me out he is actualy realy helpful, well the blazer runs shifts alot better o and i put the aftermarked aux cooler on.
i put a clear hose comming from the output of the tranny and just poured fresh in the filler as it was comming out at about the same rate and all went well.
then i cut my rubber tranny line to lengh and installed the cooler.
btw remote start helps so much when doing this
now i can playwith my new car.
thank you blazer community.
I would like to do exactly what you did on my 95 S10. but first i have some questions?

How can i tell if antifreeze is leaking into my tranny for sure?

First, which tranny line do you unhook that drains the fluid? is it right at the raditor or under teh truck? if its at teh radiator is it the top or bottom?

And will unhooking the other line and putting it into the new fluid suck it in while the truck is running intsead of putting a tube into the dipstick filler tube? or do you have to put it in the dipstick filler tube?

And how did you hook up a external tranny cooler? where did you buy it and what did you need to do it? and where did you mount it? thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Bump ^^^

Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 AM

I may be able to answer your flush questions, as I just did a one this past weekend. I have a 2000 Jimmy, so the configuration may or may not be the same, though. I unhooked the top ATF cooler line on the passenger side of the radiator. I was actually expecting this be the line that fed the radiator from the transmission, but when I turned on the engine, ATF started shooting out the radiator. What mess. This was actually better this way, though, since I could flush out the radiator of old fluid. So attached my hose to the radiator, and into a bucket marked in quart increments. From what I've learned from others on this site, the method of sucking in the new fluid into the other cooler line will not work. The pump only pumps fluid into the radiator, it doesn't have the ability to suck it into the transmission. So you must pour the amount that is pumped into your bucket into the filler tube. That's where the increments come in. I stopped the engine after every second quart and poured in two new quarts. I think I may have overfilled though, so be careful. Sorry I can't answer your other questions, I'm sure someone else will.
edit: One thing I forgot, don't lose the e-clip when disconnecting the cooler line. I actually did lose it, but I was prepared , since I had bought a new connector that came with a new clip.

Last edited by porkfriedrice; 09-21-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: left out a word