Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member
bigt7088 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission Issue

I ran into a problem yesterday... I came off of the freeway ramp and I pressed the gas and the engine was revving, but I wasn't picking up any speed. Pulled to the side of the road, have no reverse now. Headed back to the houseandfirst gear works but makes noises and seems like it slips, and it hesitates to shift to second. As soon as it gets to second, it works fine to third, but it never shifts to OD. Before I get ripped off at the shop, I was wondering if it sounds like it needs a new/rebuilt tranny, or if there is a lower cost repair possible.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Transmission Issue

1st step is to check your tranny fluid. See if it's low, or see if you have any burnt fluid. It smells pretty nice...so you'll know if it's burnt or not.

If you need a new tranny...alot of times you can find used ones on craigslist (we found one last night for $400 with 88k miles) that will bolt right in.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Exactly ^^ A low fluid level can cause all of the symptoms you just mentioned.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Beginning Member

I forgot to mention that part, I checkthetran fluid once a week, andI checked it after the problem occuredand it was stillat an optimum level and it's not leaking. And it smelled ok after driving back home with it. Called a few shops around town and the best thing I found was $1600 for everything to put in "The Beast" which is supposed to have stronger bands and etc, and another one said they wouldput in a Jasper tran for $1800, which I've never heard of.I will check on craigslist, butI wish I had theequipment to swap it myself. Anyways, thanks!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Honestly I think a trans swap can be done with a set of sockets, torque wrench, and a floor jack. I can't remember it taking any special tools really. I hate auto trans rebuild bills :S

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Beginning Member

I have the tools, minus a good jack to do it myself, but I lack a good shop andwork area now,and it'smuddier than awet fart around here [:'(]. I'll keep you updated on what I do, which more than likely haverebuilt trans swap done at the shop pending the money situation. I appreciate it!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
nolan is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem with my 97 blazer. had to have the transmission rebuilt. I had it done here in columbus GA for $1200. iwas told that the prices u mentioned were about average. Thats been over a year ago and its working fine,except that i cant drive it now bc the fuel pump went out. good luck

Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: nolan

i had the same problem with my 97 blazer. had to have the transmission rebuilt. I had it done here in columbus GA for $1200. iwas told that the prices u mentioned were about average. Thats been over a year ago and its working fine,except that i cant drive it now bc the fuel pump went out. good luck

Thanks.I don't believe it's a secret thatGM has put out some poor transmissions with the 350 and 4.3 engines (and all around I guess).Seriously though, both Chevy trucks weown haveneeded transmission work at 60k and 130k miles. And most of my buddies that drive Chevy's have had transmission trouble too. But what GMC lacks in, they make up for it in other departments I guess.

On the issue of fuel pumps,I used to have a 96Nissan Altima, and I went through 4 fuel pumps in 2 yearswith thatthing, andthe problem was I always drove with about a half tankto aquarter tank of gas (mypay check wasn't cutting it). Turns out these fuel pumps are designed to cool off with the gas in your tank. Kept that in mind, and neither I, or the people that bought ithave had problems with it since. Good luck with your truck.