Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission leaking & 200K Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission leaking & 200K Tune Up

I'm rolling 200K here soon on my truck (go me!) and I noticed the gasket around the transmission is leaking slowly but surely. I'm going to go ahead and ditch the old gasket and filter and replace both of them with a kit from Fram. I thought about adding a drain plug, but I am unsure as to how to go about doing this.

Finally: With the 200K comes what I have mind:
[ul][*]AC Delco platinum plugs[*]MSD wires[*]Distributor Cap and Rotor[*]Oil Change with Royal Purple Synthetic Oil and AC Delco Filter[*]Bleed the power steering system and change out for Royal Purples Power Steering Fluid[*]Pull the rear diff off and junk the old cover, replace and refill with Royal Purple Diff Fluid[*]Add a bottle of Chevrons Synthetic Fuel Cleaner[*]New fuel filter[*]New K&N Air Filter[*]Rotate the tires and possibly rebalance them[*]Clean out the EGR and butterfly valve[/ul]
Is there anything I may have missed?
Oh, and I drained the radiator and block, and heater core of its coolant and gunk, put in a new radiator, thermostat (broken bolt, oh joy), and radiator cap, so thats taken care of.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission leaking & 200K Tune Up

Did you buy stock in RP? LOL

The list looks good.

I hope the MSD wires are competitively priced as they really do not offer much over a set of Belden Premiums or AC Delco wires. The Belden wires have a lifetime warranty which is nice!

I did not know that Chevron made a synthetic fuel cleaner... Techron Plus works great though. I use it at every oil change in my vehicles.

Are you having power steering issues? If not, I do not know that I would do anything with the system. If you do go through with this, get a turkey baster (new one, not the one from your kitchen) and suck out as much fluid as you can. Then fill the res and work the wheel back and forth with the engine running, front end up on jack stands to circulate the fluid. Repeat until what you are removing is as clean as you would like it to be.

You may want to flush the brake system as well. Over time, brake fluid will entrap moisture which can cause a spongy brake feel.

As far as the drain plug goes, B&M makes a nice add-on drain plug where you only have to drill a hole through the pan. Just make sure that it is a location that is out of the way of all of the components on the underside of the transmission.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Starting Member

Haha, no I didn't I just like the products. I've used them time and time again with no issues whatsoever. And when I mentioned Chevron, I meant its Techron Plus, it is synthetic. But I realized the transmission was leaking so I figured I might as well go and hit the 200K with it.

Also, I've seen and read about the Seafoam product. So I figured I would go ahead and get this over with. Now my 94 has a horizontal throttle body, so would you recommend sucking it through the brake booster? 1/3 through the booster, 1/3 down the oil fill, 1/3 in the gas tank. Let it stall for 15 minutes, drive it like you stole it, then from there in about a 100 miles, change the oil. Right?

And, as for bleeding the brakes, God what a job. I hate doing that D: - I've read about the Speed Bleeders so I wonder if these products are worth shooting at...

Thanks for the help though Kyle. I joined ROE and they help me setup the system you see in my signature ^_^

EDIT: I just remembered, my drivers side rear window is loose and barely hanging on. What would you recommend for sealing that back up, just silicone?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Starting Member

Oh. It seems today that my battery went out, so I'm going to go ahead and replace it with a post-style battery and the connections. Upgrade it all to 2 AWG wire. Also, the EGR is getting clogged so I'm going to clean that out too. More things to knock off of my todo list -^_^-

And, I fixed my rear window with some black RTV sealant, that thing isn't going anywhere. Now, does anyone have any suggestions for moving my spare tire, I hate that thing wasting space inside my cargo area and I don't really want to mount it to the back of my truck. What about underneath?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Starting Member

Bump... thread got lost, still need the info on the seafoam.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It has been covered before... If you cannot pour it into the throttle body, you have to suck it in through a vacuum line. You can use any vacuum port that is near the throttle body as this will get the best dispersion through the system. I have never used it in the oil and always used a full can down the intake. I use about 2/3 of the can with the engine running (albeit rough), then dump the last 1/3 can in fast and either let the engine die or shut it off. Then let it sit for at least 30 minutes to soak. After that, drive it like you stole it until the smoke clears. Change the oil and at least pull the plugs and have a look at them to complete the job.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Starting Member

Okay I was just double checking, I've heard stories where people have blown their engine using this stuff, and frankly auto parts stores around here have stopped selling it due to that reason. Any precautions to using it besides pulling the plugs and changing the oil?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

That is a new one... Exactly how were these engines blown? I would bet it is from racing them too much during or after the treatment (high RPM) and not from the use of the product... Unless you just dump the full can in all at once, you cannot hydro lock the engine which would be the only way that it would cause damage.

Do you have any links about this?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Starting Member

I really couldn't tell you Kyle. But racing would be my guess. You how people are, they all excited watching the smoke come out of the exhaust, then they blow the engine. Also they could possibly forget to change the oil and it would lose its lubricating principles thus causing the engine to seize up.

It seem a quick google search turns this. Although I have never experienced this myself, a lot of people are weary about dumping this in their engine, which I can see why, it is a 1500 dollar huge block of metal after all.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Beginning Member
Doverman454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seafoam is the reason why my motor blown I added it a week before I was being dumb and raced my friend and fired the motor so just a FYI do not be dumb with it but I did come out with a 03 4.3 motor with 2k miles :]
Oh and after reading there website to change the oil after 500miles of use or internal damage. I kinda wish that was on the bottle.

Quick Reply: Transmission leaking & 200K Tune Up