Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission pan leak.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Starting Member
James Perry is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission pan leak.

So I bought an 850$ expected some issues. I knew it was leaking transmission fluid out of the pan. My buddy said its an easy fix. We get under the car take the pan off clean it put a new gasket on the put the pan back on and torque it to 9lbs. It was leaking from the right side. So I figured the pan was bad and bought a new pan that came with gasket. We cleaned it with brake clean and tightened the new pan to 10lbs torque. Although it was still leaking from the passenger side of the pan.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:34 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Sure it's the pan? To properly detect leaking you need to wash that mess down first.
Normally gravity is also involved but also air-stream from driving. Driveshafts can do their own thing flinging oil into places where it drops down afterwards and hits a different place. Clean at least as high up the tranny (above the pan gasket) and front and aft to be sure where it leaks.

Why did the old pan leak? Rust hole? Kinked? Bent places? Damaged gasket?
Once all is clean check on the pan (new one). No distorted places? No disturbed or kinked flange? Then the transmission itself. How does the flange where the seal will sit look? Has somebody scratched it with i.e. a screwdriver when they tried to pry the pan?

The slightest scratch, dent, disturbance, pieces of old gasket can make a pan/gasket/trans sandwich leak.
The gaskets are not flexible enough to fit into a scratch. Torque to manufacturer spec's into good threads with good bolts and washers. Should be able to screw-in the bolts by hand when you have the pan off the transmission. Pay attention to the bolt length, sometimes there are two or three bolts with different length.