Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM
stabman is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission rebuild

I recently became the owner of a 1996 S10 4X4 Blazer, anyhow I went into this deal knowing it would need tranny work. Checking some of the post here I was hopful that it was just the solenoids, but the mech said it was probably the third forth clutches and would run $1800 to rebuild. I'm getting the job done for $1000 +tax. I guess my question is what is the average cost to rebuild one of these trannies? It has a 4.3 V6, also according to the mech this is a common problem with these transmissions, is it? I heard that this is not an easy job b/c of it being a 4x4.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

www.transmissioncenter.com is a site that I've suggested in recent weeks. Remember that if it sounds too good to be true, then maybe it is. Unless your really know the person or garage owner doing the job, be cautious. For 1 grand it sounds like they are ready to take cut corners on the job and that is not a good idea when dealing with transmissions. I picked one up this weekend in Enfield Connecticut 1 1/2 drive form my home for $300 and I'm sure it's good, I got lucky there as they are hard to find and the junk yard start at $700 for one. Lots of Blazers with similar tranny problems down here and I'm gonna use the site above for the parts and repair the one coming off. In 30 years working with cars I've never done a tranny rebuild but, with the high cost and dishonest shops, I will do better. there are other postings from last month here on trannys alone and I suggest you check them out too. Good luck. By the way guys, stay away from Blazer deals in Connecticut, I don't need competition. Stabman, nothing is easy especially if it's the first time one works on such vehicle/s
If you are mechanically inclined; have the tools;the place to do the job; the time and a little money, it gets easier and the exprience is yours forever. I'd like to take the time to thank the creators of this site for it and allowing me and others to share our experience as well as learn from others.

Last edited by chevygonzalez; 12-14-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

It's not so much the rebuild as trying to figure out why it happened in the first place. I just got done with one (can be done yourself for around $150 if you make your own tools). It's burned up 3rd gear twice in maybe :30 of driving and I'm beating my head as to why. Really the only way a transmission will not work after a rebuild is 'operator error' by not paying attention to what you are doing. They usually don't offer much of a warranty because they'll either work or they wont.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 AM
stabman is on a distinguished road

Thnaks for the info. I usually do most of the work myself, but when it comes to automatic trans I perfer the professionals. I've done manuals, also in this case I don't have the time nor the best of places to work on it. I agree on you with taking it into shops to work, I've had my share of feeling taken.