Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Sensor/Shift Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member
lostrealist is on a distinguished road

Had the Blazer poked at this morning by a transmission shop. Turns out it's a shift Solenoid. It's going to be $245 to fix, not including tax. I'm trying to find rides and stuff so I can get it fixed tomorrow. Gah.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

wow thats a lot for a simple shift solenoid.... to bad you didnt have the place to do it yourself. a solenoid is only like $30 bucks or so....

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member

Come down here and fix it for me. lol. I'll make cookies!

Now the guy has me all paranoid.... He cleared my codes and now it runs beautifully. I drove it all around town running errands then back to the shop and had no issues. When I told him that, he said metal shards could be blocking or getting sucked up and thats why the Solenoid isn't working.

I mean... It's been doing this off and on for the past year... I personally think the transmission is still strong, it shifts smooth and clean, the fluid doesn't smell burned....

Do those solenoids go out like that? It has 135k on it.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lostrealist
Come down here and fix it for me. lol. I'll make cookies!

Now the guy has me all paranoid.... He cleared my codes and now it runs beautifully. I drove it all around town running errands then back to the shop and had no issues. When I told him that, he said metal shards could be blocking or getting sucked up and thats why the Solenoid isn't working.

I mean... It's been doing this off and on for the past year... I personally think the transmission is still strong, it shifts smooth and clean, the fluid doesn't smell burned....

Do those solenoids go out like that? It has 135k on it.
How did he check to see if the shift solenoid is bad? did he drop the pan and pull it out and test it? on/off solenoids are not intermeint faliures. if the go bad they dont work anymore. the only way the solenoid could have trouble doing its job is if its screen is clogged and it cant do its job. but if your clean its screen it may work proplerly..... mileage has nothing to do with failure... they can fail at 35k or at 165k.... im guessing your tranny is probably fine and just needs to be cleaned and serviced properly

Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member

He just test drove it and ran the codes I think.

Got it back today with a clean bill of health. He said there were no shards in the pan and everything looked clean and strong. The sensor was bad and I got to keep it as a souvenir. Haha.

The $250 included having the transmission serviced as well. So at least that's another thing I don't have to worry about. Looks like the Beast is good for a few more dozen road trips!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Starting Member
gneal52 is on a distinguished road

i had the same thing come up on my 1999 ,"manufacturer transmission control" . what is that?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gneal52
i had the same thing come up on my 1999 ,"manufacturer transmission control" . what is that?
That is what a cheap generic scan tool typically states for many of the P1xxx codes. What was the specific code?