Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 AM
cccfabioccc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission slipping

i revived an old dead post that was miscatagorized so i am moving my comments to this post.

I have a 1996 jimmy but yesterday i bought a 2003 s10 2.2l
this truck has alot of bad at a good price $1500
my father is a mechanic and is looking at it but just said real quick needs trans rebuild and i want to make sure that is the case.
basically out of first gear to get going you have to raise the rpms to about 3k to get it rolling once it is rolling it goes if you drive granny style. at about 65 it seems to work fine until you really punch it. the truck has about 96,000 miles. dont want to pay the $600 for the tranny rebuild if i dont have to this is going to be my "flip". i know its not a s10 forum but they are almost the same thing and you guys always know how to fix the problems i have. It also has a front main seal leak since the prior owner hit a large rock at about 40mph that took out the front valance as well. other than that its a good truck. any ideas will help. I was told that this is the same trans they used in first gen s15 blazers.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Transmission slipping

It might possibly just be a thow out bearing issue, the throw out bearing is located on the shaft coming out of the transmission going into the engine. You will have to drop the tranni for this to replace the bearing but if you drop the tranni I would take it to a tranni shop and have them run it on the dyno to test it just in case!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 AM

would it be a 4l60e trans on an 03 2.2? seems like a good trans on a small engine not sure why it would have gone out so fast other than poor maintenance. trying to find just a replacement but i cant find an kind of guide telling me which trans it is. found a 01 4.3 trans with 46,000 miles for 75 bucks thats more what im looking for.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 AM
BF Veteran

I don't think the 4l60e tanni's were used on the 2.2 but I could be wrong I will search and see if I can find out if they did!!

Ok did some searching and the tranni's are different, so you would need to get a transmission outta another one with the same motor!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 AM

i was told it was a 4l60e but it has a smaller bell housing? any ideas would help thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 AM
BF Veteran

If that is the case then change out the bell housings and see if it works otherwise I would check back in a few for other peoples ideas on if it would work!!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is a 4L60E and yes, you should be able to use the transmission from the '01 4.3L. You will need to swap the bell housings and everything else will match up just fine.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 PM

its an automatic do they even have throw out bearings? after telling my father to check better before i have the tranny rebuilt now he thinks it may be a bad selinoid? in his words, which would keep the clutch pack from engaging all the way.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A bad solenoid is a possibility. And no, an automatic does not have a throw out bearing.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM

i gave up on the swap. i found a trans shop that would rebuild it for $500 because i already got it out of the car. from what i have heard from other shops $1100 is the going rate in vegas but it still sounds WAY to high.

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping