Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

transmission swap day two

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
adumsted is on a distinguished road
Default transmission swap day two

Yesterday I started the tranny removal process on my 2000 s10 4wd. I got the drive shafts and transfer case out of the way and got all of the harness connections undone from the transmission. Today was not as productive, I got the starter removed and the fuel line brackets undone, I got a late start about 3pm (girlfriends OB appointment) and I got the front six exhaust manifold nuts undone on the front of the Y, now I'm am stuck because I have two incredibly rusted nuts clinging to the exhaust at the rear. PB blaster has got me through the rest of the crud, but I'm thinking a torch will be handy for these. If anyone has a trick it would be helpful, its kind of a pain to be held up on something so small. Also the cooler lines are a little stuck, I've got PB blaster on those too, this Iowa heat is just wearing on me.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

when i did mine i left the manifolds on the block and just unbolted the 'y' pipe from the manifolds.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Beginning Member
adumsted is on a distinguished road

Yeah I just removed the nuts connecting it to the manifold, I'm stuck now at the other end of the y connected to the muffler.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Just torque the s*** outta them until they break off and once they are broken you should be able to tap them out with a punch or you may have to drill them out. Then just put new nuts and bolts in there. I have done this in the past on my Land Rover.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
jasaon is on a distinguished road

if you working close to the ground you cant get exhaust out anyway i had to cut in two to completely remove i'm not a mechanic but i replaced trans by my self had exhaust welded back together good luck make sure you cut in good straight place