Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Temperature Gauge solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Transmission Temperature Gauge solution

Hi all,

I thought I'd share my solution to being able to monitor the temperature of my transmission fluid.

I am now using the Ultragage MX 1.3. (UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center)

It is a real-time OBD monitor with the ability to monitor the temperature of the automatic transmission fluid (along with many other types of data).

I wish I had known of this item before I burned out my transmission and then having to get the transmission rebuilt. Towing 2,200 lbs of boat and trailer is hard on our little trucks. Now I can slow down or pull over to let the transmission (and engine) cool before any damage is done. (T>200'F for tranny is bad!)

BTW, Even with a transmission fluid cooler now installed, I've discovered that I am at risk of overheating, especially on hot days going up steep grades.

I did look at the Scanguage product. I considered getting it but I did not like the package and thought it too intrusive and bulky.

If any of you do any towing, I would highly recommend getting some sort of transmission temperature gauge.

Happy Hauling!

Christine

Old 09-28-2017, 03:23 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice idea to use the OBD.

Unfortunately my 1994 is still ALDL only. So I will have to fix a temp sensor somewhere in the transmission.
I'll have to modify my transmission oil pan as planning to haul trailers over 4'000 pounds some of the time. Additional oil cooler after heat exchanger will be put up too. And as I'm there putting holes into my transmission oil pan a drain plug will be nice too.

Going up-hill I sometimes use 3rd or 2nd gear to force it into that gear and lift the pedal just enough to make the torque converter lockout to engage. This helps a lot with temp.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran

error_401,

Ah, I never thought of the impact of the torque converter being in or out of engagement on the fluid temperature. Thanks! Good stuff to know.

Yes the oil cooler is definitely necessary. I wish I had learned all this BEFORE I burned up the transmission!

I've seen some useful articles online about where to install a temperature sensor. I don't remember the details but I do remember that the proper location is important to get the data that will be of most use to you.

BTW: Some of the grades I go up pulling my boat include the following:

US-95, north of Lewiston ID: 1,890' in 5.6 miles, avg. grade 6.4%, max 7%
I-90, Vantage to Rygrass summit WA: 1,900' in 11 miles, avg. grade 3.3%

Thankfully I only hit these a half dozen times in total during the year. :-)

Christine

Old 10-01-2017, 04:33 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Well some impressive inclines with a heavy trailer.

Manually keeping it in a lower gear should help some. Eventually 2nd at some 40 - 45 mph in order not to revv it too high just above some 3'000 rpm to keep the torque converter locked out.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran

error_401,

Yes, I am well familiar having to use 2nd gear and 40-45 mph while going up those hills. LOL The 95 to 100'F days are the worst but fortunately rare.

But there you go again and give me another good bit of info: The rpms (3,000) above which the torque converter remains locked to help reduce heating.

Thanks!

Christine

Old 03-13-2020, 06:46 AM
Scott Allen Alcorn is on a distinguished road
Default Trans temp

Originally Posted by christine_208
Hi all,

I thought I'd share my solution to being able to monitor the temperature of my transmission fluid.

I am now using the Ultragage MX 1.3. (UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center)

It is a real-time OBD monitor with the ability to monitor the temperature of the automatic transmission fluid (along with many other types of data).

I wish I had known of this item before I burned out my transmission and then having to get the transmission rebuilt. Towing 2,200 lbs of boat and trailer is hard on our little trucks. Now I can slow down or pull over to let the transmission (and engine) cool before any damage is done. (T>200'F for tranny is bad!)

BTW, Even with a transmission fluid cooler now installed, I've discovered that I am at risk of overheating, especially on hot days going up steep grades.

I did look at the Scanguage product. I considered getting it but I did not like the package and thought it too intrusive and bulky.

If any of you do any towing, I would highly recommend getting some sort of transmission temperature gauge.

Happy Hauling!

Christine
I've got a 2001 Blazer and was wanting to add a trans meter. So are you saying that our blazers have a trans sensor already integrated into the system and can be read by OBD2 scan device?