Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Truck is whining but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member
mechelle207@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Put another starter in and that one got eaten up also so the vehicle is just going to be used to put towards the jeep that my parents are getting from the mechanic and I am buying my parents minivan. I'm just glad I didn't go buy a starter myself and have someone try to put it in because then I would be out the money for the starter so it all worked out. I'm thinking more than likely there is an electrical issue going on and it would be more costly to try and fix it. Thank you to everyone who helped out.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I would look for a new mechanic for starters. This is a VERY simple diagnosis/repair for an expirienced mechanic. Starters have been failing since the 1920's. it isnt brain surgery for the people who work on them everyday.

Tell your kid he did nothing wrong. Trying to start a vehicle that is already broke will just make the kid feel like crap that he was the one who broke it even more!

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Beginning Member
mechelle207@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kristoph30
I would look for a new mechanic for starters. This is a VERY simple diagnosis/repair for an expirienced mechanic. Starters have been failing since the 1920's. it isnt brain surgery for the people who work on them everyday.

Tell your kid he did nothing wrong. Trying to start a vehicle that is already broke will just make the kid feel like crap that he was the one who broke it even more!

Good luck!
What would it be in your opinion? I do not think he put a bad starter in there as I know the truck had electrical issues going on.
My son knows that he didn't break it, it was something coming anyways, he just helped it along and actually did me a favor so that I didn't have to put any more money into it as I got my 4 1/2 yrs out of it.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the sound from the video, I would at least remove and bench test the starter. It could be a failed or weak solenoid on the starter that is not properly popping out the bendix (what pushes out a gear that engages the flywheel of the engine to turn it over).

While you are under there, you can pull out either the plastic plugs in the bottom of the transmission bell housing up against the engine oil pan, or remove the metal inspection cover to try and view the teeth on the flywheel. A mirror may be required if using the inspection cover location.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 PM
Starting Member
EstebJ is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody, first time poster. My 1999 s10 is having this exact problem. I took the starter off and had it checked at two different O'reilly's and an autozone. All three relayed to me that the starter has no problems. I even asked if their tests checked if the solenoid was engaging or not, and they confirmed it was.

My question is, should I replace it anyways? My father is fairly mechanical oriented when it comes to cars and he can't figure it out, but he suggested I do it anyways. Is their anything else that could be causing a sound like this? Why would the tests show it not malfunctioning if it needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance. I don't know if people reply to these old threads, but I'd sure appreciate the advice.